Sunday, December 28, 2014

Russian Nesting Dolls
featuring Russian churches
(From newspaper "SonntagasZeitung",
sent to me by son RW living in Switzerland.)

Churches On Sundays
Year 2014 


British Columbia

Coquitlam, Como United Church, 11/23/14.
Denman Island, Denman Island United Church, 12/14/14.
Duncan, Duncan United Church, 10/26/14.
Hornby Island, Holy Cross Roman Catholic Church, 10/5/14.
Mission First Nations Reserve, St. Pauls Catholic Church, 12/21/14.

North Vancouver, Posthumous Churches  City of North Vancouver, 2/23/14.
North Vancouver, Posthumous, Bethel Methodist Church/North 
           Lonsdale United Church, 3/23/14.
North Vancouver, Posthumous, Capilano Highlands United Church,
North Vancouver, Posthumous, Hillside Baptist Church, 2/9/14.
North Vancouver, Posthumous, Knox Presbyterian Church, 2/2/14.
North Vancouver, Posthumous, Munro Church, 8/3/14.
North Vancouver, Posthumous, Seymour Heights United 
          Church, 8/10/14.
North Vancouver, Posthumous, St. Pius X Catholic Church Multipurpose 
         Building, 11/30/14.
North Vancouver, Posthumous, Sutherland Bible Chapel, 
         (1970-1995 Building), 1/19/14.
North Vancouver, Posthumous, St. Thomas Anglican Church, 3/30/14.
North Vancouver, Posthumous, The Wallace Memorial Chapel, St. Martin's 
         Anglican  Church, 4/13/14.

North Vancouver, Present (2014) Churches City of North Vancouver, 3/2/14.
North Vancouver, Canyon Heights Community Church/Christian 
           Assembly, 6/1/14.
North Vancouver, Deep Cove Gospel Hall, 9/7/14.
North Vancouver, Gloria Dei Lutheran Church, 5/25/14.
North Vancouver, Hillside Baptist Church, 3/9/14.
North Vancouver, Mount Seymour United Church, 8/17/14.
North Vancouver, New Life Christian Centre, 10/12/14.
North Vancouver, North Shore Pacific Grace MB Church, 10/19/14.
North Vancouver, St. Martins Anglican Church, 4/6/14.
North Vancouver, Sutherland Church, 1/26/14.
North Vancouver, The Bridge, 11/2/14.
North Vancouver, The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints, 12/7/14.
North Vancouver, Vision for the World Church6/15/14.
North Vancouver, WestCoast Baptist Association, 5/18/14.
Vancouver, St. Paul's Hospital Chapel, 2/16/14.
Tsleil-Waututh Nation-Infant Jesus of Prague Church, 9/21/14.


Cartagena-San Pedro Church, 1/12/14.


Saint-Louis-Reform Church, 7/20/14.


Weil am Rhein, Germany-Evangelische Kirsche Alt-Weil, 7/6/14.


Milan-Catholic Cathedral/Duomo di Milano/Basilica
              of the Nativity of Saint Mary, 6/29/14.


Basel-Joseph Church/St. Josephskirche, 7/13/14.
Basel-Basel Minster, 6/22/14.
Basel-kleina, Evangelical Reformed Church, 7/27/14.
Basel, Basel Hospital Chapel, 10/16/14.
Basel, Theodorskirch, 11/9/14.
Beil-City Church, 8/31/14.
Winterthur-Evangelical Reformed Church6/8/14.
Zurich-"Church on the Egg"/Alte Kirche Wollinshofen, (New Church), 8/24/14.
Zurich-Open Church of St. Jacob at Staffarcherplatz, 9/28/14.
Zurich-Reformed Church Wollishofen (Old Church), 9/14/14.


Indio-Las Palmas Community Church "A Nazarene Church of the Coachella 
Indio-Saint John's Episcopal Church, 4/27/14.
Indio-Trinity Lutheran Church, 4/20/14.
Palm Desert-St. John's Lutheran Church, 5/4/14.


 Kauai-Hanalei, Wai'Oli Hui' ia Church, 1/5/14.


God, be with the persecuted Christians through out the world. Amen (SW.)

Sunday, December 21, 2014

426 West Esplanade C

St. Paul's Catholic Church
Mission First Nations Reserve

"Saint Paul’s Roman Catholic Church (Originally known as Sacred Heart Church.) (REF. 2) National Historic Site of Canada, with its twin spires and Gothic Revival style, is a local landmark located on the fifteen hectare Mission First Nations Reserve on the North Shore of Burrard Inlet, (Eslha7an Village) (REF. 2) across from the Vancouver Harbour. It is situated within the Mission Reserve, surrounded by housing and public buildings and adjacent to a ‘Celebration of Creation Garden,’ created for the Squamish Nation Elders in 1998. Official recognition refers to the church on its footprint.

1890 (NVA Photo #5770)

"Saint Paul’s Roman Catholic Church was designated a national historic site of Canada in 1980 because:
- this oldest surviving mission church in the Vancouver area has long been a focal point of the Mission Reserve;
- it is an example of the Gothic Revival Style in Canada.
"Saint Paul’s is associated with the Oblates of Mary Immaculate, a Roman Catholic missionary order that played an important role in the introduction of Catholicism to western Canada and the lower mainland of British Columbia. Established in 1864, this mission reserve was the first permanent settlement in the area now known as North Vancouver. The original chapel dating from the mid-1860s was replaced in 1884 by a larger frame church with a projecting front steeple. (See 1890 photo above.) The current St. Paul’s church, which incorporates the walls of the 1884 church, was extensively remodeled and expanded with the addition of twin spires in 1909.

Front of church in 2014

Rose window seen in the front of church in 2014 photo

Four plaques between doors in front of church in 2014 photo
The commemorate the 1884 building, the history of the church,
the 1979-1983 renovation, and the 2013 restoration.
"Saint Paul’s is a fine example of Gothic Revival ecclesiastical architecture in Canada. The walls of the 1884 building were retained but lofty 26-metre-high corner towers replaced the original central tower. The addition of transepts and a vestry, along with circular-shaped chapels, created a sophisticated cruciform shape that was without precedent among Oblate mission churches in British Columbia. Apart from two chancel columns retained from the 1884 structure, decoration was confined to fret-sawn trim, largely removed in later renovations. The church was reopened in 1910 and named St. Paul’s in memory of Father Durieu, the first Oblate missionary in the area. St. Paul’s was the last mission church of this scale and complexity to be built on a First Nation mission in British Columbia, and is the last surviving example.

Sanctuary 2014
(Crucifix also appears in a 1950's photo) (REF. 3)

Last Supper plaque below the Crucifix 2014
(Plaque also appears in a 1983 photo) (REF. 3)

Native carving on alter candle holder 2014
(one of two)

Sanctuary side wall Station of the Cross
Native motif painting to the right, 2014

Painting of St. Paul on rear wall of Sanctuary

Stature of Mary and the Christ Child 
on rear wall of Sanctuary 2014
"Key elements that contribute to the heritage character of this site include:
- its setting on the Mission Reserve surrounded by community housing and public buildings;
- views across Burrard Inlet to Vancouver;
- its cruciform plan and symmetrical massing;
- the twin 26-metre-high ornate spires that project from the front elevation;
- the wood shingled roof with wooden detailing at the soffit level;
- the wooden crosses on top of both spires and over each gable end;
- the wood construction and clapboard cladding;
- the symmetrical fenestration with Gothic arched windows in single, double and triple assembly, some with stained glass, as well as rosette stained glass windows;

Rosetta stained glass window and triple window
in west transept 2014

- the wide wooden exterior staircase leading to the entry;
- the wooden, twin pilaster surrounds for the principle doors located at the base of the spires;
- the semi-circular chapels;

Rear view of church, note 
semi-circular chapel on the left 2014

- the wall and two chancel columns retained from the 1884 structure;
- surviving original mill work in the interior, including the pews."(Link.)

Wooden cross dating back to 1900
(REF. 3.)

1881 Bell from Cincinnati, Ohio
(The 550 pound bell was mounted in the single belfry in 1881,
later put in the west tower.) (REF 3.)

Thank you: To Father John J. Brioux, OMI, St. Paul's Parish, Oblates of Mary
                        Immaculate for permission to photograph the church and for the
                        booklet "Mission on the Inlet".
Photos: Taken in November 2014 by SW.
Reference 1: "Sources: Historic Sites and Monuments Board of Canada, 
                       Minutes, June 1981, November 1983, February 1990.
Reference 2: "North Shore News", Nov. 30, 2014, "Stately landmark returned 
                       to glory".
Reference 3: "Mission on the Inlet, St. Paul's Indian Catholic Church, North
                       Vancouver, B.C. 1863-1984."
Link 1:
Link 2:


God, be with the persecuted Christians through out the world. Amen (SW.)

Sunday, December 14, 2014

                                                                                   December 14, 2014

4575 Denman Road

Denman Island United Church
Denman Island, British Columbia, Canada

  Exit sign on Hwy. 19 for Denman & Hornby Island (Link 2.)

 Map of Denman Island from "" (Link 2.)

"Denman (Island) was once known as Punchlatt Island, and the Inner Island, by the Puntledge First Nations who set up summer camps on the island, gathering clams and berries, and fishing and hunting. Deer were caught by herding  them into the water where hunters waited in canoes.
The first European settlement on Denman Island was in 1874. The island was named after Rear Admiral Joseph Denman, Commander-in-Chief, Pacific Station, 1864-6. The island was allegedly nicknamed "Little Orkney" by the settlers who came from the Orkney Islands, an archipelago on the northern tip of Scotland.
Population: 1,100

"Location: Denman Island is located off the eastern shore of central Vancouver Island, opposite Buckley Bay, 12 miles (20 km) south of Courtenay and one hour north of Nanaimo." (Link 2.)

"Destination Denman Island – Ruth Good
"Sunday Feb 17 2013
"This morning we were up early to accompany the Bruce and June McIntyre and Chris and Jean Whittaker to church. The service was not in Parksville, however, but on Denman Island where Bruce leads the service one Sunday a month. We met the ferry for Denman Island at Buckley Bay, north of Parksville. After a ten minute ride across Bayes Sound, we drove to the Denham Island United Church. It is a small but beautiful building of wood construction, lined with cedar boards. This is a very old church. There is a display case with the Bible first used in the church,dated 1879.
"The enthusiastic choir had 7 members including two men this day. Some days there are two more members. They present an anthem every Sunday and sometimes more than one.
Every week after the service, there is a pot luck lunch and time of visiting. We joined them for lunch and were made very welcome.
Denman Island has a land area of slightly less than 20 square miles and a year round population of 1016.
"After lunch we did some beach combing at Fillongley Provincial Park and toured the island then back to the ferry to return to Vancouver Island. At Fanny Bay Bruce stopped to show us sea lions. This was a chance happening as the sea lions feed on herring and there is a herring run now. When the run is over the sea lions go back out to sea." (Link 1.)

  Sign at Denman United Church  
(Link 2.)

Denman Island United Church (Link 2.)

The Hornby and Denman Island Grapevine reported on August 21, 2014 on the planned Denman Island United Church 125th anniversary celebration. "Our little white church was built and finished by local citizens.  It was consecrated as a Methodist Church in 1889, 36 years before the United Church of Canada was formed, and was one of the first churches built in the Comox Valley.  Services have been held there every Sunday since that time."  The celebration planned was a concert at the church.

Photo: Top photo taken in August 2014 by SW while driving past.
Link 2:


God, be with the persecuted Christians through out the world. Amen (SW.)

Sunday, December 7, 2014

                                                                                                                         December 7, 2014
941 Lynn Valley Road

The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints
North Vancouver, B.C.

"Since its organization in New York in 1830, The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints has had a presence in Canada. The first Latter Day Saint missionaries to preach outside of the United States preached in Upper Canada; the first stake to be established outside of the U.S. was the Alberta Stake; and the Cardston Alberta Temple was the first church temple to be built outside of the current boundaries of the United States.

"As of January 1, 2011, The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints reported 182,415 members, 47 stakes, 325 wards, 5 districts, 155 branches, 8 missions, 7 temples, and 163 Family History Centers, in Canada." (Link.)

There are 10 churches in the greater Vancouver area with the first temple built in the suburb of Langley in 2010.

Vancouver Temple by airforcefe.jpg
131. Vancouver British Columbiaedit
Langley, British Columbia
25 May 2006
2 May 2010 by Thomas S. Monson
49.15067599972°N 122.6592250000°W
19,053 sq ft (1,770 m2) on a 11.77 acre (4.8 ha) site
Open house was held in April and the dedication 2 May 2010.[9][10][11] First temple in British Columbia and 6th in Canada. (Link.)
The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints in North Vancouver was first listed in the City Directories at the North Vancouver Archives in 1965. 

However, the congregation  met in Vancouver at Prince Albert Ave. and 14th Street until  1946 when they moved to  the North Shore.  As meeting halls they used the FOE Hall in lower Lonsdale, the IOOF Hall on Keith Road, and the Masonic Hall also on lower Lonsdale. Ground breaking for the church at 941 Lynn Valley Road was in 1962.  The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints on Lynn Valley Road opened on Sept. 6, 1964. (*)

Full Immersion Baptismal Font

The original building consisted of the Chapel (see right side of the top photo) and the north wing.  The north wing (see left side of the top photo) was made up of specialized classrooms,  a kitchen, and meeting rooms.  One of the meeting  rooms contained the Baptismal Font for full immersion baptism.

Cultural Hall

In 1976 an addition was built across the back of the church.  The Cultural Hall and more classrooms and meeting rooms were added.  The Cultural Hall and a small storage area are east of the original Chapel and separated with folding doors which allow for more Chapel seating when needed.  The Cultural Hall with its stage and wooden floor also can be used as a gym or theater space.

The Chapel

A further renovation took place in 1977.  This included updating of the Chapel.

The Sunday Services includes a worship service in the Chapel followed by group meetings in individual rooms.  The Sunday congregation numbers from 100-200. "The teens meet five days a week (except holidays) for seminary (religion class)." (*)

Service groups includes monthly collecting of donations to the Food Bank from the community. The women of the church also meet to make kits for Relief Projects.

Thank you: To Bishop Ivan Ng and Brother Cordell Rolfson and 
                 Sister Marilyn Rolfson and *Norma Pollack.
Photos: Taken in May 2014 by SW.


God, be with the persecuted Christians through out the world. Amen (SW.