Sunday, November 30, 2014

The original 1961 St. Pius X Multipurpose Building    
1150 Mount Seymour Road 
(2014 Photo)
                       (Now used as a gymnasium  of St. Pius X  Elementary School)
                (With living space and music room addition added to the front)

St. Pius X Catholic Church Multipurpose Building
North Vancouver, B.C.

St. Pius X Catholic church started as a mission of St. Edmund's Catholic Church (See Blog Post  6/26/11) in 1944.  It was started to serve the sizable Catholic population revealed in the census report of Deep Cove, the most western section of the District of North Vancouver.  The first mass was offered in a storage room, then across the street at the Deep Cove Community Hall.

"In 1960 six acres of land were purchased near the intersection of Mount Seymour Parkway and Mount Seymour Rd.," up the mountain and west of the community of Deep Cove.  "In 1961 a multi-purpose facility, including a pastor's residence (at the left end of the building in the photo below) and a hall seating six hundred, was built." (REF.) 

St. Pius X Catholic Church-1984

In 1981 part of the original property was sold and in 1984 a new church was built at 1150 Mt. Seymour Rd.

 St. Pius X Elementary School
North building

In 1997 St. Pius  X Elementary School was built.  The school has two buildings. The northern building contains the school office and classrooms.  The southern building is the original 1961 all purpose building and is now  the school gymnasium. The original all purpose building is seen in the two photos below-the elevated roof. The caretaker's living quarters and the music room were added on to the front of the building. 

West side of south gym wing of school
(Note elevated roof of 1961 Multipurpose Building)
South side of south gym wing of school
(Note elevated roof of 1961 Multipurpose Building)

For more information on St. Pius X Catholic Church see Blog Post 11/6/11.

Note: In this case Posthumous means that although the building is still in use 
          it is not used as a Sanctuary for Sunday Services.  

Photos: Taken in 2011 and May 2014 by SW.
Reference:Traditions of Faith and Service, Archdiocese of
                      Vancouver 1908-2008.


God, be with persecuted Christians through out the world. Amen (SW.)

Sunday, November 23, 2014

535 Marmont Street
(1960 Church)
Como Lake United Church
Coquitlam, B.C. Canada

Dot indicates Como Lake United Church
(Google Map)

"Coquitlam /kˈkwɪtləm/ (2011 census population 126,840)[3] is a city in the Lower Mainland of British ColumbiaCanada. Coquitlam, mainly a suburban city, is the sixth-largest city in the province and is one of the 21 municipalities comprising Metro Vancouver

Como Lake
(Link 5.)

"The Austin Heights area contains Como Lake, a renowned urban fishing and recreation area, and headwaters for the Como watershed. The watershed represents one of the last urban watersheds in the Tri-Cities that supports wild stocks of coho salmon as well as other species at risk such as coastal cut throat trout (both sea-run and resident) and bird species such as the Great Blue Heron and Green Heron.[16] It also contains Mundy Park, one of the largest urban parks in the Metro Vancouver area." (Link 3.)

"Blue Mountain Park is one of Coquitlam’s original municipal parks. It offers an urban forest setting with tall Douglas Fir, Red Cedar, North Red Oak, and several Redwoods." (Link 4.)  This park is kitty-corner from Como Lake United Church.

"Activity in the Como Lake area of Coquitlam began with families meeting in homes in the area in 1924, although the congregation is first mentioned in the 1928 yearbook. It is not known whether the United Church congregation was preceded by any Methodist or Presbyterian activity. 

 Central United Church, Austin Avenue, 1926*

"A small wooden church was completed on Austin Avenue in 1926 and named Central United Church. Before becoming a separate charge around 1950, (Susan: 1925-1952) Central United was part of the Port Moody Pastoral Charge from approximately 1930.

1951 Church, corner of King Albert Ave. & Marmont Street.
started Sept. 9, 1951* 

" In 1951, (*1952 to 1960) with the congregation growing, the church moved to a new location on King Albert and Marmont Streets. The church's name was subsequently changed to Coquitlam Central United Church, but this caused confusion with the church in Port Coquitlam. At the 1956 Congregational meeting, the Congregation voted to change the name to Como Lake United Church.


Banks of side Sanctuary Windows

"A new church was built to accommodate growth and was dedicated on 
December 4, 1960. (See top photo.)

Auditorium Expansion behind the Sanctuary

"Major expansions were completed in 1976 and 1986." (Link 1.) (*The old church building remains the current Fellowship Hall.)

Note: In 1969 Richard Wilson, Suzanne's son and contributor to Churches on Sundays blog and now living and working in Basel Switzerland, was baptized at Como Lake United Church.

Thank you: To *Susan Beer, Church Office Administrator,  for an e mail with 
                         photos of original churches and related dates.
Photos: Taken in September 2014 by SW.
Link 1:
Link 2:
Link 3:
Link 4: 

Link 5:


God, be with the persecuted Christians through out the world. Amen (SW.

Sunday, November 16, 2014

Hospital Chapel

University Hospital, Chapel
Basel, Switzerland

                                                                Hospital Strasse 21 / 
                                                                     Petersgraben 4 
                                                                         4031 Basel

"The University Hospital Basel is one of the leading medical centers in Switzerland with high internationally recognized standard. The doctors, physicians and nurses work around the clock based on the latest scientific findings and the latest medical technology equipment for the welfare, safety and recovery of patients.

"The close cooperation of the University Hospital Basel with the oldest university in Switzerland and the world's leading life science companies in Basel guaranteed interdisciplinary treatment concepts and innovations in all medical disciplines at the highest level. This transfer of knowledge comes in a distinctive mass and the teaching and research as well as education and training to good." (Link 1.)

Note: Son Richard was in the hospital for surgery on his foot after a
                        car drove over it.
Thank you: To Claudia at the University Hospital Church taken 
                        September, 2014.
Link 1:


God, be with the persecuted Christians through out the world. Amen (SW.

Sunday, November 9, 2014

Theodorskirch in the Wettstein-Quarter of Basel

Basel, Switzerland

"The Theodor church is a Reformed church in the town of Basel. The Gothic church is located in the Wettstein-Quarter and... St. Theodor." (Link 1.)

A document first records the church in 1084. "At the beginning of the 12th century it belonged to the monastery of St. Alban. It is located upriver from present-day Klein Basel in the later abandoned village of Lower Basel....Tombs from the 8th century were found 1947...When Basel earthquake (hit)  in 1356 large parts of this church were heavily damaged.... Both church towers were collapsed in part...Only the north tower was later rebuilt." (Link 1.) 
"Renovations took place 1941 to 1948." (Link 2.)

Exterior  Front Church Wall

The original organ was built in 1770...A new organ was built in 1917 by J Zimmerman...The organ was rebuilt and refurbished in 1978.  Then in 2005 (Link 3.) "the (present) organ was built by the organ builders Alfred and Daniel Kern."  Church concerts are performed occasionally. (Link 1.) 

Church Tower

Photos: Taken in August 2014 by Richard Wilson while living and working in 
                 Basel, Switzerland.  
Link 1:
Link 2:
Link 3:

God, be with persecuted Christians throughout the world. Amen (SW.)

Sunday, November 2, 2014

                                                                                                                         November 2, 2014

1384 Deep Cove Road
The Bridge 
North Vancouver, B.C. Canada

"The beginning of our church go back to post World War II when the Mount Pleasant Baptist church in Vancouver first established a Sunday School on the North Shore.  The original chapel at 515 West Windsor Road and Sunday School rooms were constructed in 1955...and Delbrook Baptist Church was established. (REF.) The Building Permit book at the North Vancouver Archives indicates that a$27,000 permit was issued to Mount Pleasant Baptist Church in 1956.

Original 1956 Chapel-2013

The Building Permit book at the North Vancouver Archives lists a 1962 church addition at Delbrook Baptist church.  This larger building with its distinctive roof shape (seen in the photo at the top) includes the new sanctuary with a large rear balcony and center peaked roof outlined in a circular fan of beams. Windows march around the top of the walls where they meet the ceiling, emphasizing its octagon shape.

1962 Addition

The Bridge bought St. Clara-in-the-Cove Anglican Church (See blog post 4/3/11.) in 2014. The church is used for office space as Sunday services continue to be held at Capilano University Centre for the Performing Arts.

Sign at 2014 Church

Photos: Taken by Suzanne Wilson.
See Blog Posts 3/17/13 and 4/3/11.


God, be with the persecuted Christians through out the world. Amen (SW.)