Sunday, September 28, 2014

At Staffareheplatz

Open Church of St. Jacob at Staffarcherplatz
Zurich, Switzerland

"The English names "James" and "Jacob" are both derived from the Hebrew "Jacob". Many persons or places known locally as "Saint Jacob" (or similar) are often translated into English as "Saint James"." (Link 5.)

The first historical mention of the St. Jakob church dates to 1221. It was the site of the Battle of St. Jakob an der Sihl in 1443. (Link 3.)

The Battle of St. Jakob an der Sihl was a battle of the Old Zürich War that occurred on July 22, 1443, resulting in a defeat for Zürich....The commander of the Habsburg forces, Albrecht Freiherr von Bussnang, was killed behind the altar of the St. Jakob chapel. (Link 2.)

Choir Loft and Organ Pipes

Today " Open St. Jacob (is) in the center of Zurich, in the cheerful gear at Stauffacher, our church of  St. Jakob. From early morning to evening, you can enter it and enjoy the spirituality of the colorful church interior. Frankly, we are also in our focus: In addition to the Sunday services will also danced with us, yoga practicing, held concerts and theater performances, is shown and discussed art. We want to record the questions, the joys and hardships of the residents of the city and respond with our offer on it. The Open St. James is part of the Reformed parish Aussersihl." (Link 1.)

Steeple and Clock Tower

"Stauffacher is a tram junction  in AussersihlZurich, next to theSt. Jakob church.. The tram stop was named after the street, which had been named for Werner Stauffacher in 1893.  (Link 3.) Werner Stauffacher was supposedly the name of the representative of the canton of Schwyz, one of the three founding cantons at the legendary Rütlischwur of 1291, as told by Aegidius Tschudi." (Link 4.)

Photos: Taken in June 2014 by Richard Wilson while living and working in 
                 Basel, Switzerland.  His work also takes him across the border to small
                 towns in Germany.
Link 1:
Link 2:
Link 3:
Link 4:
Link 5:


God, be with persecuted Christians through out the world. Amen (SW.)

Sunday, September 21, 2014

3196 Dollarton Highway

Infant Jesus of Prague Church
Tsleil-Waututh Nation

Tsleil-Waututh Nation sign on Dollarton Highway

The Tsleil-Waututh Nation is located on the north shore of Burrard Inlet, south of the eastern section of the District of North Vancouver, B.C. Canada. The sign in the  photo above announces the eastern border of the Tsleil-Waututh Nation.

Marion Shrine

The church is a mission of St. Paul's Catholic Church and operated by the Oblate Order.  "The church was planned in 1958, the same year Czechoslovakia was taken over by the Communists.  The Pope sent out a directive stating all newly built Catholic churches worldwide were to call themselves Infant Jesus of Prague, and the parishioners were to offer their prayers for the Czechs." (REF.) The Marion Shrine sits to the east of the church.

The Christ Child

The small white shingled church with its set of double crosses sits on up the slope on the north side of Dollarton Highway.  From its perch it views the blue waters of Burrard Inlet and  the shores of Burnaby beyond.  Above the double front doors is a statue of  The Christ Child blessing all who enter.


Inside the Sanctuary the center aisle between two sets of pews painted blue leads to the chancel with the wood altar, the Crucifix and the Pieta above.

Pi eta 
(Above the Chancel)

Flowers and candles grace the many statues in the Sanctuary.  A statue of the Virgin Mary is placed on the left hand side of the Chancel.  A statue of Joseph with the Child Jesus is on the right hand side.

Virgin Mary 
(Left Chancel)

Joseph holding the Child Jesus
(Right Chancel)

Other statues in the Sanctuary include: Our Lady of Guadalupe, Mary with the Child Jesus, Ignatius of Loyola, and Christ of the Sacred Heart.

Our Lady of Guadalupe
(In front of Chancel at the right wall.)

Mary with the Child Jesus
(In front of Our Lady of Guadalupe.)

Ignatius of Loyola
(East rear wall corner.)

Christ of the Sacred Heart
(Rear of Sanctuary)

Along the sides of the nave are nine panel plain glass windows topped with a three panel pointed arch.  Between the windows are plaques of the Stations of the Cross.

West wall of Sanctuary
Windows and Stations of the Cross Plaques

Station of the Cross Plaque
(East Wall of Nave)

On the east side of the Narthex in the rear of the Sanctuary is a narrow curved wooden stairway leading the the small balcony.  Sitting and filling the entire west wall of the balcony is the old pump organ pictured below.

Pump Organ in Balcony

Thank you: To  Brenda Baptiste, Chief Administrative Officer, Twleil-Waututh 
                         Nation for permission to photograph the church.
Photos: Taken in July 2014 by SW.
Reference: Echoes Across Seymour, by Janet Pavlik, Desmond Smith, and
                         Eileen Smith,  page 111.


God, be with the persecuted Christians through out the world. Amen (SW.

Sunday, September 14, 2014

Reformed Church Wollishofen (Old Church)
 61 Kilchbergstrasse Road

Reformed Church Wollishofen(Old Church)
Zurich, Switzerland

Reformed Church Wollishofen (Rear View)

The Reformed Church, Wollishofen is in the area of Zurich, Switzerland known as Wollishofen.  Wollishofen is south of the Zurich city center and east of Lake Zurich.

"Formerly Wollishofen was kirchengenössig to St. Peter; from 1270 to Kilchberg. The Wollishofer thus marched Sunday after Sunday the route to "their" church. (In)1702 (their) own church was built. The householders of the community contributed to the construction at (with) 2070 pounds, the Obervögte of Kilchberg 1000 pounds. Mayor and Council of the City of Zurich donated £ 1,200, the renovated striking clock from the old town hall and what is necessary to jettison powder.

Sanctuary Stained Glass Window

"As a model for the building served (was) the church built in 1683 in Affoltern in Zurich. The foundation stone was laid on April 27, 1702; the inauguration on 26 November 1702 and neighborly help to build the church came from the municipalities Enge, Ries Bach, Hirslanden, Zollikon (money amounts) Wiedikon, Altstetten, Albisrieden (2 oaks, 6 fir), Rüschlikon, Bendlikon, upper and lower Leimbach (another timber). These forced labor were made ​​and donated in kind such as wine and bread grain for the workers.

Psalm 103

"The final settlement of Obervogt and councilor punch resulted in expenditure of 7501 pounds, five chunk and 2 pence a revenue surplus of 7 pounds 14 chunk. This money made ​​a donation of £ 100 by punch the ground floor of the new church property. , the former village church comes as a reminder of the former village of historic importance to. She was commissioned by City Council resolution dated 06.27.1968 under protection. 

Sanctuary Stained Glass Window (Side)

"Today the Old Church Wollishofen is also a popular (site for), intimate weddings.

Mathew 13: 1-23

"Bells:  (in)1702 (the church) possessed ... three bells, cast at Moritz Füssli, Zurich. In 1870 the average (middle sized bell) got a crack, in 1925 jumped the little bell. Therefore, a new peal by Rüetschi AG, Aarau 1925 was poured. From the ancient bells the little went to National Museum, the middle was melted down. The big bell, a very nice, decorated specimen has since been at the west entrance of the church. 
Psalm 145

"Art: 1948, the stained glass windows by Max Hunziker were installed. The organ was placed at the same time the choir off new to the gallery and look at the new stained glass windows in the choir was free. Later windows by Max Hunziker came in 1957 to do so. The windows of Hunziker is dedicated to a special sermon series in 2011. A more detailed description of the windows and the artist can be found in this PDF document. (Link 1.) (Tall narrow stained glass window are on both sides of the Sanctuary.)

Mathew 6 verse 21

"For worship and other religious occasions the little old church is used on the Kilchbergstrasse usually. The jewel is also a very popular church for weddings.
The church is located on the old road (Kilchbergstrasse) in the former sub-village and stands on edge of a slope....  Behind the church is the former cemetery, today unobstructed green area. The outdoor space is a simply designed green area. Particularly influential in the garden and around the church are the powerful, cut yews body. One way (cobblestone) leads to the church, the square in front of the entrance is also gepflästert. (Link.1)

In contract to the "Old Church" with its onion domed spire above a square bell steeple and clock, in 1937 a stark modern "New Church" was built up the hill, "On the Egg".  (See Blog Post 9/21/14.)

Photos: Taken in June 2014 by Richard Wilson while living and working in 
                 Basel, Switzerland.  His work also takes him across the border to small
                 towns in Germany.


God, be with persecuted Christians through out the world. Amen (SW.)

Sunday, September 7, 2014

                                                                                                                        September 7, 2014

4544 Cove Cliff Road

Deep Cove Gospel Hall
North Vancouver, B.C. Canada

"The Deep Cove Gospel Hall had its early beginnings in 1952.  That was when a group of people from the south Main Street area in Vancouver came out to Deep Cove to find a possible site to set up a Sunday School.  Dave Jones Sr. and Bill Hague were two of the original founders of this church. The Deep Cove Gospel Hall was not a denomination or a branch of any other church as members thought that every church should have its own identity.  They received permission to use the community hall for their Sunday School.

Community Hall/Fire Hall 
Deep Cove Gospel Hall Parishioners
(REF 4.)

"When their membership increased rapidly, they soon outgrew the small hall and it was decided that a building of their own was needed. The church bought property on Cove Cliff Road.  The Gospel Hall congregation firmly believed that the church should be funded by donations from within its own group, rather than by fundraising events.  The church's mottoes were:  "A Christian should be a cheerful giver" and "The Lord has prospered man so that he may give."

Deep Cove Gospel Hall sign

"The church was total funded by donations from the members and the building was begun in 1954.  Then it officially opened in January, 1956, many of the congregation were still coming from Vancouver as well as the Deep Cove area."(REF 2.)

Sanctuary (REF 3.)

A November 1985 Vancouver Sun newspaper article describes the features of the remodeled sanctuary that led to the presentation of a special merit design award. "If you could choose one word to describe...(an) interior that won (a) design award... this November, that word would be elegant. Deep Cove Gospel Hall, winner of the special merit an elegant solution.  Here, architect David Weiser has used a simple and direct approach to the perennial problem of refurbishing-on a limited budget-a place of worship....

"In Deep Cove Gospel Hall, architect David Weiser relies on simple material, bold ideas and the labor of the congregation to achieve a serene  and dignified space within a constrained budget. 

"The hall, says Weiser, had serious problems.  Built in the '50's, it was a warehouse-like space with a lightly vaulted ceiling of cedar decking supported by laminated beams.  Asbestos-tile floors and plastered concrete-block walls were an acoustical disaster, and clerestory windows caused glare during the day.

"Weiser took three materials-cedar, drywall and carpeting-and worked them hard to create the spiritual qualities the congregation wanted.

"He raised the pulpit above floor level and built a cedar-lined niche around it.  then to reduce the height of the hall, he used strong horizontal lines to catch the eye.

"One of the horizontals is a massive frame of cedar over the pulpit.  Another is an equally massive shelf-like projection that runs along either side of the building, about five feet below the ceiling.  This projection (which has openings in it to allow light) modulates the light coming in through the clerestory windows.

"Beige tweed carpeting, which covers the floor and goes half way up the walls, also cuts the  height of the space and radically improves its acoustics.

"The strong textures and tones along with the horizontal elements and simple detailing give a restful quality to the space....

"In the Gospel Hall, the newly quietly incorporates the old; dated lighting fixtures and stacking chairs seem to belong in the new space as if they had been chosen for it." (REF 1.)

Kitchen (REF 3.)

Lower Hall (REF 3.)

The described Sanctuary is on the upper floor of the two story  Deep Cove Gospel Hall.  On the lower floor of the building is the kitchen and adjoining  lower hall.
Photos: Taken in July 2014 by SW.
Reference 1: The Vancouver Sun, November 16, 1985, 'Architecture' Barbara 
Reference 2: Echoes Across the Inlet, page 117.
Reference 3: July e mail with photos  from George of the Deep Cove Gospel
Reference 4: Echoes Across Seymourby Janet Pavlik, Desmond Smith, and
                          Eileen Smith,  photo of Fire Hall and Gospel Hall 


God, be with the persecuted Christians through out the world. Amen (SW.)