Sunday, April 27, 2014

                                                                                April 27, 2014

St. John's Episcopal Church

Saint John's Episcopal Church
Indio, California


"St. John's Church was founded in 1941, an outcome of mission work of the Diocese of Los Angeles. The mission work was undertaken by Captain Charles Condor in a trailer called St. Christopher's Chapel, a trailer which included a church altar and living quarters for Dr. Condor and his wife. When St. John's was founded there were 60 members and Captain Condor was the first pastor.

"St. John's Church was built at its' present location in 1948. The parish hall was built in 1954.

"Father Al Murray became the Priest -In- Charge in 2005. He made the decision to have one Sunday bilingual service rather than an English and a Spanish service. Thus two congregations merged and a multicultural and bilingual church was begun. Father Murray left in 2013.

"Father Neil Tadken became the supply priest in 2013 and carried on our bilingual service with the sermon and eucharist mostly in English and the music largely in Spanish.

"Father Tadken left in mid 2013 and Father Ron Hulbert became the new Priest -in- Charge in late 2013. Father Hulbert has continued the bilingual service and brought some new ideas to beautify our church and worship service. Father Ron Hulbert has left in late 2015 and we now have supply priests. (Link 1.)

Stained Glass Windows behind Altar

Altar Cross

Station of the Cross

Stained Glass Sanctuary Window

Stained Glass Window on Front of Church

The parish hall of the church is connected with a hall featuring a small museum.  One of the items in the museum is a portable altar with a letter describing its use in Illinois, Texas, and overseas during the world war in Europe.

Portable Altar

History of the Portable Altar

Thank you:  To Father Hulbert and the congregation for their warm welcome.
Photos: Taken by SW in February 2014.
Reference: A short history of Saint John's Episcopal Church.
Link 1:
Link 2: Valley
(Note: This blog post was rewritten in 1/2016 because the original was deleted by mistake.  If you have a copy of the original, please send it to

Note 2017:  In March of this year I again visited Indio and attended a Sunday Morning worship service at St. John's. During the welcoming coffee hour following the service the replacement of the green grass surrounding the church with the "Desert Garden" featuring the placement of the wooden cross was explained.  The cross was give by the nearby Santa Anna Church by the Salton Sea when they closed their doors.  The heavy wooden cross was originally carried  the   10 miles to the Santa Anna Church from its desert workshop by the maker and his two boys.

Cross from Santa Anna Church

The replacement of the green grass with the "Desert Garden" saves the church about $600 a year in watering costs.


God, be with the persecuted Christians through out the world. Amen (SW.)

47-783 Monroe Street

Las Palmas Community Church
"A Nazarene Church of the Coachella Valley"
Indio, California

The Nazarene Church of the Coachella Valley "Started in a house in 1939 on Highway 99(now Highway 86) and Ave 61 in Thermal CA.  There were "Primarily two families (of the Millsap brothers and two teens).

"As the group grew, walls were knocked out (and the meeting area increased). At some pont the members felt they should find a place to move in Indio,  A place was found at Requa and Smur. (This church was dedicated in 1945.) This is where the Church remained until the present property was found and the Church was built." (REF)

1945 Church on Requa and Smur

Construction of church on Monroe, 1967

Las Palmas Community Church on Monroe Street was built in 1967.  Blond laminated beams were used in the vaulted ceiling of the sanctuary.  This was typical construction of the time and several other area churches were built with this same detail.  (See Blog Post for St. John's Lutheran Church,  5/4/14.)  Stone is another building material typical of the area, although the types of stone varies. (See Blog Post for Trinity Lutheran Church, 4/20/14.)

Corner Stone of church on Monroe, 1967

Front Entrance of Church on Monroe

The  double bank of  blond pews in the sanctuary match the blond laminated beams of the high ceiling.  A large cross dominates the chancel.


Greeting the congregation on Sunday mornings is a cheery hand painted mural in  the narthex. 

Narthex Mural

"We are a Christ-centered church that is biblically based.  We purpose to Encourage and love people, Equip believers for ministry, Evangelize the lost, Exalt His name and Enable fellowship."   A Senior Pastor, Youth Pastor, and Children's Pastor lead programs  including: worship, Sunday School, prayer meetings, women's/men's/children's/youth groups. (Link)

Thank you: To Children's Pastor, Deanna Gibson for her help. Photos: Colored photos taken in February 2014 by SW.
Reference: Our History is His Story, 68th Anniversary Celebration, by Ruth 
                      Millsap, April 6, 2008.



God, be with the persecuted Christians through out the world. Amen

Sunday, April 20, 2014

                                                                                                                               April 20, 2014

81-500 Miles Ave. at Clinton Ave.

Trinity Lutheran Church
Indio, California

"Trinity Lutheran Church in Indio had its beginnings in January 1940, when services were held in the Woman's Club of Coachella...(In 1949) the property at the corner of Park and Requa Street Indio was purchased, and a World War II Army Hospital and Barracks unit was moved to the new church site....the two units ... were converted into a sanctuary and parsonage.  Church Church was dedicated on October 19, 1948....

"Formal organization of the Church took place on May 12, 1949.... In July 1960 the original buildings were sold to the First Methodist Church, and the congregation purchased the property at  Miles and Clinton Streets, where the church is now located.

Construction of church on Miles and Clinton, 1949

"A parsonage, sanctuary, and education building were erected at a cost of $100,000.  Many hours of volunteer made this possible.  Our present church facility was dedicated on Sunday, October 8, 1961.

Sanctuary entrance

Window above Sanctuary entrance doors

"Trinity's sanctuary has several unique architectural elements which make it an Indio landmark.  The elegant arc of the soaring a-frame is detailed with stained glass panels and culminates with a cross at its pinnacle.  The one of a kind rock chinking was painstakingly cut by hand and individually placed. The diamond shaped windows had to be completely redone because the manufacturer made them all the same size-in reality the windows grow in size as they march toward to front of the chancel....


"The use of natural stone, wood, sky blue beams and altar backdrop, as well as strategically placed windows contribute to the light, airy feeling of the interior. making it a house of light and life.

 "The original pews, still in use today were purchased by families or individual members.  the decorative wrought iron Trinity symbol which graces the altar and communion railings were crafted and donated by congregation member Clarence Moe. (As was the hammered bronze altar cross.)" (REF.)

                                       Trinity Lutheran Child Development Center

The Lutheran Child Development Center (a preschool/daycare center) adjacent to the church  was constructed by "the Laborers for Christ and Church member volunteers.  The 7,000 square foot building was completed in the fall of 1989." (REF.)

Photos: Taken in February 2014 by SW.
Reference: Trinity Lutheran Church, Lutheran Church-Missouri Synod, 50th 
                       Anniversary, 1949-1999.


God, be with the persecuted Christians through out the world. Amen

Sunday, April 13, 2014

                                            Wallace Memorial Chapel
                                         (North Vancouver Archives Photo # 6333)

The Wallace Memorial Chapel
St. Martin's Anglican Church
North Vancouver, B.C. Canada

The Wallace Memorial Chapel was part of  St. Martin's Anglican Church in  1951 to 1969.

St. Martin's Anglican Church started as St. Thomas Anglican Church in 1910.  It was located on the corner of Lonsdale Ave. and Queens Road in the Upper Lonsdale area of the District of North Vanocuver.

"...the parish was officially rededicated on Nov. 11, 1919, to St. Martin of Tours "in commemoration of the signing of the Armistice on St. Martins Day in 1918, to perpetuate the memory of those who were killed in the Great War. (REF 1.)

In 1923 the church farther north in the District of North Vancouver at the corner of Windsor Road and St. Georges Avenue.  Here the congregation built a hall that became the church.  It faced St. Georges Avenue.  

In 1927 this building was turned 90 degrees with the church entrance then being  on Windsor Road.  And in 1947 a transept and apse was added to the south side of the church.  A bell tower with a church entrance was added on the north side. The entrance has since been moved to the east side of the church. (See photo below.)

St. Martin's Anglican Church


In 1951 the Wallace Memorial Chapel was dedicated by the Wallace family to the son, Blake Wallace.  Access to to chapel was through the arch on the east wall of the chancel (now framing the organ pipes). 

Arch to Wallace Chapel



    Church with Transept on Left   
         (North Vancouver Archives Photo #6327)       

The front wall of this small memorial chapel was dominated by three stained glass memorial windows.  (See top NV Archives photos #'s 6333 and 6327.)  In 1969 there was a need for space for new organ pipes.  The chapel served that need and was closed.  The three stained glass memorial windows were moved to the west side of the chancel opposite the organ pipes and the original entrance to the chapel.

Wallace Memorial Windows now on west wall of chancel

For more information about St. Martin's Anglican Church see Blog Posts 3/30/14 and 4/6/14.

Photos: Colored photos taken in 2014 by SW.Reference 1: North Vancouver Heritage Inventory, 1984, available at the North 
                          Vancouver Archives.
Reference 2: A Short History of St. Martins, 1910-1956, North Vancouver, 
                           B.C., Roy Pallant.
Link 1:
Link 2:

God, be with the persecuted Christians through out the world. Amen

Sunday, April 6, 2014

                                            195 East Windsor Road

St. Martins Anglican Church
North Vancouver, B.C. Canada

The first worship service of this church was held in October 1910. In early November, 1910 the church became a mission of St. John's Anglican Church, North Vancouver (See Blog Post 9/30/12.).  And later in November 1910 the name of the church was officially St. Thomas Anglican Church.  (For more on this building see blog post 3/12/14.)

This first service was held in a small rented hall on the north-west corner of Lonsdale Avenue and Queens Road in North Vancouver District.  The building was built by Thomas S. Nye as a warehouse to store building materials.  In 1918 it was purchased for $800 by the church congregation, then enlarged. 

"...the parish was officially rededicated on Nov. 11, 1919, to St. Martin of Tours "in commemoration of the signing of the Armistice on St. Martins Day in 1918, to perpetuate the memory of those who were killed in the Great War. (REF 1.)

St. Martin's Anglican Church continued to meet in the Thomas Nye warehouse for 13 years. (The hall ran parallel to Queens Rd. with the entrance on Lonsdale Ave. and the altar at the west end. REF 4.)  "The last service was held at this location on the 1st Sunday in September, 1923" (REF 3.) In 1927 it was sold for $300 and became a builder' supply store. (REF 3.) "It is the current location of a gas station at the corner of Lonsdale and Queens." (REF 2.)

"In June 1921 two lots (The cost was $850.-REF 3.) on East Windsor Road were purchased to build a parish hall (The cost was $1800-REF 3.) for the community.  The hall was opened in early 1922, and by 1923 this former parish hall became a temporary church. (With the altar located at the east end-REF 3.)  

Alterations had to be made  and in 1927 this hall was turned 90 degrees on the property (With the altar now located at the south end-REF 3.)  It was raised and a basement was built beneath." (It is the present church nave.) (REF 2.) The cost was $850.  (REF 3.) 

Description of Church (REF 4.)

In 1947 the southern apse was added and in 1950 the (Windsor Rd. bell) tower was built. " (Link 2.)  The bell tower featured a Celtic Cross on the front.  "The church offers an attractive Craftsman adaptation of the Gothic Revival Style.   (REF 1.)

Construction of Apse and Transept
(North Vancouver Archives photo  # 6324)

Church and Transept
(North Vancouver Archives photo #6327)

Rear of Church/Apse on left

Tower and Front Entrance on Windsor Rd., 1950
(North Vancouver Archives Photo # 6328)

The entrance to the Sanctuary was later moved from the front of the bell tower to the east side of building. (See top photo.)


The nave of the Sanctuary features a center aisle with stained glass windows lining the side walls. These windows replaced the original rectangular windows.(See NV Archives photo #6327) Diamond patterned leaded glass panels  flank the some of the tall rectangular stained glass windows.

Side Stained Glass Window

Side  Stained Glass Window Panel
(Note: St. Martin in the right panel.)

The pulpit is made of white oak with dark oak panels.  The yellow cedar tracings are brown English oak. (REF 4.)


The arch on the east wall of the chancel originally led to the Wallace Memorial Chapel in the added transept. (It now frames the organ pipes.) The chapel was dedicated in 1951 in memory of the Wallace's son, Blake Wallace. The chapel included three stained glass windows also dedicated in memory of  Blake Wallace. In 1969 it was closed to accommodate new organ pipes. The stained glass windows were  mounted together and moved to the west wall of the chancel. (REF 4.)

Wallace Memorial Chapel
(North Vancouver Archives Photo # 6333)

The entrance to the chancel (the rood) is a dark wood frame topped by the words "God So Loved The World".  Above this message is a carved crucifix.  On the left is a small choir loft and exposed organ pipes.  The organ is on the right.

The Transept and Altar

A brass cross, once at St. John's School Chapel, sits on the altar. (REF 4.) Stained glass windows are on the walls to the right and left.

"The lych-gate was originally built in 1924 for St. James Church in Vancouver, and was designed by Richard T. Perry.  Expansion of that church required its removal, and it was moved to St. Martin's in 1935."  At that time it was erected on St. Georges Ave. at the entrance to the original church hall (now the nave of the present church). Then in 1965 it was moved to its present site as the entrance to the church complex on Windsor Rd. (REF 1.)

 Lych Gate

The same year, 1965, the new parish hall (seen behind the lych gate in photo above) was built running north to south along St. Georges Avenue.  This hall with its basement is the activity center and Sunday School area for the church congregation.

Church Bell
(REF. 4.)

In 1913 the ship's bell of the SS Zafiro of Battle of Manila Bay fame (The flag ship of Commodore Dewey in the Spanish-American War of 1898.-REF 1.) was donated to the church and hung in a rustic, ground-standing belfry.  In 1920 the bell was built into a turret and placed on the roof of the hall (on Queens and Lonsdale), now named St. Martin's Church. The bell and turret were later moved to the roof of the church built at Windsor and St. George's in both the east-west position of 1923, and the north-south position of 1927.  It was moved into the present bell tower in the summer of 1950. (REF 3.)

In 1989 the church was renovation for $250,000.  The architect was Brian Sim and the construction company was Leyland Construction.  During the renovation Sunday worship services were held in the church hall. (REF 6.)

In 2002 a stylized round stained glass Rose Window designed by Irene Alexander was set above the rear entrance to the Sanctuary.  (REF 7.)  It can also be seen on the exterior Windsor Rd. wall to the west of the bell tower.  The Rose Window replaced the original set of three clear glass windows.  (See black and white photo #6328 above.) 

Rose window in rear of church
installed 2002

The hard working and dedicated congregation of St. Martin's Anglican Church has supported the many changes in the physical plant of the church.  They have also donated many of the stained glass windows and much of the church furnishings.

For more information on St. Martin's Anglican Church see Blog Posts 3/30/14 and 4/13/14.

Thank you: To church secretaries Yolanda and Margaret. 
Photos: Colored photos taken in January 2014 by SW.
Reference 1: North Vancouver Heritage Inventory, 1984, available at the North 
                          Vancouver Archives.
Reference 2: North Shore News, "Home and Garden", 'St. Martins Church' by                                  Dorothy Foster, Dec. 4, 1992.
Reference 3: Chronological History, St. Martin's Anglican Church, 
                          Feb.27, 2005 .
Reference 4: A Short History of St. Martins, 1910-1956, North Vancouver, 
                           B.C., Roy Pallant.
Reference 5: 1930 Fire Insurance Map available at the North Vancouver
Reference 6: The Vancouver Sun, 'Pulpit',  January 11, 1989.
Reference 7: North Shore Historical Society, "The Stained Glass Windows of                                  St. Martin's Church", Irene Alexander, June 2002.


God, be with the persecuted Christians through out the world. Amen