St. Thomas Anglican Church
North Vancouver, B.C. Canada
The first worship service of this church was held in October 1910. The service was held in a small rented hall on the north-west corner of Lonsdale Avenue and Queens Road in North Vancouver District. This small building was built by Thomas S. Nye as a warehouse to store building materials. In 1918 this hall was purchased by the church congregation for $800, and enlarged. St. Thomas Anglican Church continued to meet in the Thomas Nye warehouse for 13 years. "The last service was held at this location on the 1st Sunday in September, 1923." (REF 3.) In 1927 it was sold for $300 and became a builder' supply store. (REF 3.) The building also served as the church hall. "It is the current location of a gas station at the corner of Lonsdale and Queens." (REF 2.)
In early November, 1910 the church became a mission of St. John's Anglican Church, North Vancouver (See Blog Post 9/30/12.). And later in November 1910 the name of the church was officially St. Thomas Anglican Church.
"...the parish was officially rededicated on Nov. 11, 1919, to St. Martin of Tours "in commemoration of the signing of the Armistice on St. Martins Day in 1918, to perpetuate the memory of those who were killed in the Great War. (See Link 1.)
Reference 1: North Vancouver Heritage Inventory, 1984, available at the North
Reference 2: North Shore News, "Home and Garden", 'St. Martins Church' by Dorothy Foster, Dec. 4, 1992.
Reference 3: The History of Saint Martin's Church North
Vancouver, Chronological History,St. Martin's Anglican Church,
Reference 4: 1930 Fire Insurance Map, available at North Vancouver Archives.
Link 1: http://en.wikipedia