Sunday, February 23, 2014

                                                                                                                     February 23, 2014

Posthumous Churches of the City of North Vancouver
(North Vancouver Neighborhood Map)

Posthumous Churches  
City of North Vancouver, B.C. Canada

(Listed by date built or in use.)

Name                                    Dates in Use               Address                  Blog Post Date
F* Moodyville Methodist, circa 1865-1901, Moodyville, 12/16/12.

D* Dorman's Shack, church use-late 1890's to 1900 Anglican/1903 
      Presbyterian, East 13th Street at Lonsdale Ave., 9/2/12.

*** St. John's Anglican, 1900-1909, West 13th Street (moved to West 3rd and
       Chesterfield Avenue), 9/9/12.

St. Andrew's Presbyterian1904-1933, 100 Block East Keith Rd.,  11/18/12.

Baptist Church, 1909- circa 1912, corner of east 5th Street and St. Georges, 

F St. John's Anglican, 19o9-1985, West 13th Street, 9/16/12.

Methodist Church, 1910-1915, 425 St. Georges Avenue, 10/6/13.

 Sixth Street Methodist, 1910-1926, 167 East 6th Street, 3/25/12.

North Lonsdale Presbyterian Church/St Stephen's Presbyterian Church/St. 
    Andrew's and St. Stephen's Presbyterian Church, 1910-1961, 
    2641 Chesterfield Avenue/north side of lot, 3/3/13.

First Baptist Church1912-1967, 161 East 12th Street,  10/28/12.

*** First Church of Christ Scientist, 1925-2008, 185 East Keith Road, 1/27/13.

** Sixth Street United Church/St. Andrew's Church Hall,
     1926-1940's, 167 East 6th Street, 3/25/2012.

* Foursquare Gospel Tabernacle, 1930-1934, 132 East 12th Street, 1/20/13.

*** Sisters of the Child Jesus-Convent Chapel, 1932-2000, 524 West 6th Street, 

St. Andrew's Presbyterian, 1933-1955, 121 East 12th Street, 3/25/12.

D** North Shore Lutheran, 1940's-1954, 167 East 6th Street, 3/25/12.

Elim Pentacostal Chapel1942-1973, 124 West 8th Street,  7/1/12.

Hillside Baptist Church, 1950-1973, 139 East Lower Keith Rd., 2/9/14.

** *** Evangelical Free Church, 1952-1984, 1400 Sutherland Avenue, 2/17/13.

D St. Mark's Lutheran,  1955-1969, 137 West 6th Street, 3/18/12.

** Jehovah Witness Hall, 1955-1976, 121 East 12th Street, 2/13/11.

Sutherland Bible Chapel, 1970-1995, 630 East 19th Street, 1/19/14.

* Church met in existing building.
** Church bought existing church building.
*** Church buildings that continue to be in use.
F Destroyed by Fire
D Demolished

22 church congregations
17 church buildings originally built
13 church buildings demolished
5 church building used by other church congregations
2 buildings destroyed by fire
4 church buildings still in use
1 church building still used, but not a church

Note: For more information on the City of North Vancouver, B. C. Canada see


God, be with the persecuted Christians through out the world. Amen (SW.)

Sunday, February 16, 2014

Our Mother of Sorrows Chapel
(3rd Floor Burrard Building)

St. Paul's Hospital Chapel
Vancouver, B.C. Canada

Our Mother of Sorrows Chapel is on the 3rd floor of the Burrard Building of St. Pauls Hospital at 1018 Burrard St. in Vancouver, B.C. Canada.  The double doors leading to the chapel each feature three red glass crosses.

The altar at the front of the chapel features a relief sculpture of  The Last Supper. On the wall behind the altar is a crucifix and in the right hand corner a statue of The Virgin Mary.

Altar-The Lord's Supper

The Virgin Mary-right front corner of chapel

Lining the west wall of the chapel, and opposite the doors are three sets of doubled windows.  The glass panes are multiple diamonds of opaque leaded glass.  The east and south walls of the chapel are lined with carved Stations of the Cross.

Station of the Cross-#5

In the rear of the chapel a pedestaled Holy Water Font sits next to the double entrance doors.  Statues of the Pieta and The Christ Child  line the east wall. And hanging from the east rear corner is a golden angel.



Services in the Chapel include: Roman Catholic Mass Monday through Thursday and Sundays with Confession before and after Mass and Anglican communion on Fridays.  All these services are at 12:30 pm.  "Spaces are available to persons of all faiths and religious traditions for prayer, meditation, and quiet reflection." (REF.)
"From the beginning, the sisters, staff and physicians of St. Paul’s were keenly interested in using the latest medical technology. The hospital became one of the first to have its own X-ray machine, circa 1906. By the 1970s, plans were in place to remake the 500-bed hospital to fulfill its new role as a provincial referral and tertiary care centre for specialty services, with the ability to respond to changing needs in community care.
"Now a renowned teaching hospital with a strong research focus, St. Paul’s Hospital is recognized provincially, nationally and internationally for its work in the areas of heart disease, kidney disease, nutritional disorders, HIV/AIDS, and the care of the disadvantaged. 
St. Paul's Hospital
1081 Burrard Street
(Janet Wood painting)

"1843 – Sisters of Providence is founded in Montreal.
1894 – The congregation establishes St. Paul’s, a 25-bed compassionate care hospital.

1904 – A surge in Vancouver’s growth brought on by the Klondike gold rush allows for the first of many expansions, with the addition of 50 more beds. 

1906 – St. Paul’s becomes one of the first hospitals to have its own X-ray machine.

1907 – The School of Nursing at St. Paul’s Hospital is officially opened on September 1.

1914 – A modern fireproof structure with a new surgical department and 120 beds is added.

1931 – The North Wing is completed.

1945 – The South Wing is completed - combined with the North Wing this means an additional 500 beds.

1969 – The first lay administrator is hired and runs the hospital while the Sisters continue their involvement in the hospital and on the board.

1983 – The first 10-story tower is completed.
1991 – The second 10-story tower is completed." (Link )

Photos: Taken in Jan 2014 by SW.
Reference: "Care of the Human Spirit" pamphlet by Pastoral Care Services, Provindence Health Care.


God, be with the persecuted Christians through out the world. Amen (SW.)

Sunday, February 9, 2014

                                                                                                                         February 9, 2014

139 East Lower Keith Rd.
(Architectural Drawing 1946)

Hillside Baptist Church
City of North Vancouver, B.C. Canada

"The City of North Vancouver is separated from Vancouver by the Burrard Inlet. It is surrounded on three sides by the District of North Vancouver."  and is located on the slope of Fromme Mountain.  (Link 1.)  Keith Road is the street on the lower side of Victoria Park which crosses Lonsdale Ave., the main commercial street in the City of North Vancouver.  Keith Road is, therefore, on the slope, hence "Hillside", of Fromme Mountain.

Although the architectural drawing are dated 1946 and 1949, the City Directory at the North Vancouver Archives has no listing of 139 East Keith Road until 1950.  Listing then continue for Hillside Baptist at this address until 1973.

Main Floor and Sanctuary
(Architectural Drawing 1949)

When the Keith Rd. church closed  the communion table and two pews were moved to the new church on 870 Lynn Valley Rd.

Pew original to Keith Rd. Hillside Church

"This do in Remembrance of Me"
Communion Table original to Keith Rd. Hillside Church

For more information on Hillside Baptist Church see Blog Post 2/9/14.

Thank you: To Pauline Sanderson, wh0 attended this church  on Keith Road
                         when she was seven years old.
Photos: Taken of Architectural Drawings at the North Vancouver Archives in 
                 January 2014 by SW.
Link 1:


God, be with the persecuted Christians through out the world. Amen (SW.

Sunday, February 2, 2014

1343 Lynn Valley Road
(North Vancouver Archives Photo 10680, Link 1.)

Knox Presbyterian Church
North Vancouver, B.C. Canada

The origins of Knox Presbyterian Church in North Vancouver were with St. Andrew's Presbyterian Church also in North Vancouver in 1906. ( See Blog Post 11/18/12.) "Accordingly, the first General Meeting of the 
Presbyterian congregation took place at the residence of Julius Martin Fromme at what is now 1466 Ross Road in Lynn Valley in the heart of 
Shaketown, on October 20, 1908....Mr. J.M. Fromme gave the site for the building on the condition that the building be erected free of debt. (Link 2.)

"Having worshiped for three years in the Agricultural Hall at Lynn Valley, Presbyterian of that section of North Vancouver are now building themselves a permanent edifice.

"The new church will be erected at the junction of the Lynn Valley and the Center road.  It will seat about 200 and will cost $2000.  It will be of frame construction with plastered interior and wainscotted to the height of the window sills.  The ceiling will be domed, and the windows of stained glass.  It is expected that the building will be completed by the end of September.  the present membership is about thirty..."(REF)

In 1925 the Knox Presbyterian Church joined the United Church of Canada and became Lynn Valley United Church.  The Methodist Church on Institute Road in Lynn Valley (See Blog Post 1/30/11) joined the Lynn Valley United Church as part of this amalgamation. 

In 1959 a new Lynn Valley United Church was built on Mountain Highway. (See Blog Post 2/19/12.) At a Sunday worship service the congregation sung hymns as they marched from the building on Lynn Valley Road to the one on Mountain Highway. *

"The old Knox Presbyterian-United Church on the corner of Draycott and Lynn Valley Road was demolished 62 on January 3, 1967,... The 
basement of the church served as a shop for the sale of plans, seeds and fertilizer. The stolid Manse in the rear of the property became the home of the 
owner of the Nursery (Maple Leaf Garden Centre) which replaced the church on that site." (REF)

("Maple Leaf Garden Centre in North Vancouver is situated in the vibrant family oriented community of Lynn Valley with a view of the often snow covered North Shore Mountains.  The site was once home to the Knox Presbyterian Church and its manse.  In 1971 the Duynstees purchased the property which by then was operating as a small garden centre.  At first the garden centre operated out of the basement of the church.  In 1990-91 the site was completely renovated resulting in a new nursery, glass greenhouse and large store.  Since then Maple Leaf has become a popular destination for gardeners inside and outside the community.") (Link 3.)

*As told to SW.
Reference: The Vancouver Daily Province, "Presbyterian Church at Lynn
              Valley,"August 15, 1910.
Link 1:
Link 2:
Link 3:


God, be with the persecuted Christians through out the world. Amen (SW.