Sunday, September 29, 2013

Anglican Church

                                                                                            September 29, 2013

579 5th Street

Saint John the Divine Anglican Church
Courtenay, B.C. Canada

"St. John The Divine which was built in 1915. This occurred under the direction of the then, Vicar, the Rev. E.P. Laycock, who was a trained architect.
This Church was one of the first churches in British Columbia built on the ancient basilican or apsidal plan, rather than in the shape of a cross, which characterizes the traditional gothic plan. The Church was dedicated by Bishop John Charles Roper. As the community of Courtenay expanded the parish also grew in size. In 1967 the building was enlarged under the inspiration of the Rector at the time, the Rev. W. J. Lunny, who reordered the sanctuary, enlarged the nave, and added a choir gallery. It was during this time of expansion that the stained glass windows were installed.

St. John Stained Glass Window
(Link 1.)

"The windows commemorate the Twelve Apostles in symbolic terms. They remind the congregation that as we worship we are supported and surrounded by the glorious company of God’s Saints in whose victory we are called to share.

Sanctuary and Altar (Google Images)

"On the exterior wall of the Church is a beautiful mosaic of St. John the Divine. The Mosaic itself was inspired by the great mosaics found in Ravenna, Italy and is made up of thousands of tiny pieces of tile which depict our heavenly patron in priestly garments. Over the Apostles’ head is a halo indicating his saintly status and his hand holds the Book of the Revelation which he wrote during his exile on the island of Patmos in the Aegean Sea. Local artists conceived the design and installed the many individual pieces. In the years that followed a number of changes were made also to the interior of the Church.

St. John the Divine Mosaic

St. John the Divine Mosaic

"One of the most significant changes occurred between 1968 and 1981 when Canon Eric Scott was the Rector. During this time a stainless steel cross was added to the east wall of the sanctuary. The facets of the cross, which are grouped in threes, represent the Holy Trinity; catch the reflection of each person who enters the church, drawing them, their concerns, and their surroundings into the symbol of our Saviour’s redeeming sacrifice.

Stainless Steel Cross (Google Images)

"Under the Rev. John Lancaster, who was Rector from 1981 to 2003, the interior was painted with its unique colours reminiscent of Italian frescoes. It was also during this time that a two-manual Rodgers organ was added to support the choir and congregation. During Fr. Lancaster’s ministry an ambry was placed in the sanctuary in order to reserve the sacrament for the sick. The light above the ambry honours our Lord’s sacramental presence among us and invites us to kneel in reverence and prayer." (Link.)
Sanctuary Balcony (Google Images)


Photos: Taken in June 2013 by SW.
Reference: The Comox Valley Echo, "50th anniversay of city's only mosaic",
                       Friday, November 16, 2012.


God, be with the persecuted Christians through out the world. Amen

Sunday, September 22, 2013

                                                                                          September 22, 2013

5500 Old Island Highway/Highway 19A
Front and side of Church-note stained glass windows.
(2013 photo)

Union Bay United Community Church
Union Bay, B.C. Canada

Front of Church

"Union Bay in British ColumbiaCanada is a small community approximately 15 kilometres (9 mi) south of Courtenay, British Columbia, the largest city in the Comox Valley. Union Bay is populated by about 1200 people and is an unincorporated site within the Comox Valley Regional District. The main drag along Highway 19. A features a boatlaunch, sports/coffee shop, bistro and market/cafe. Also along the highway are the heritage Gaolhouse museum, Post Office, church, and now closed school that is currently used as the District Improvement Offices. The community has a rich history that is intertwined with that of Cumberland, British Columbia.

"Union Bay was first established as "Union Wharf" back in 1887. The community was developed as a port for the thriving coal mines at Union to the Northwest (later reincorporated as Cumberland)....Some of Union Bay's history has been preserved in what is called "Heritage Row". This row along Highway 19A includes the Gaolhouse, Post Office, Church, and School. It is preserved and maintained by the Union Bay Historical Society." (Link 1.)

Entrance to Sanctuary-on the side.
Note Stained Glass Windows
(2013 photo)

The opening service of "Institutional Church" was on the rainy morning of December 3, 1906.  The church was built by volunteer labor on land and rough lumber were donated by the Canadian Collieries Ltd. "The building and furnishings cost $2, 551,..." "A reading room at the front of the church and the tower were added about five years later." (REF.) In 1925 the church became part of  The United Church of Canada.

An organ is mentioned from the time he church was built.  In 1959 the church acquired an old pump organ from a church in nearby Cumberland, B.C. It was restored and used until 1984 when a new Hammond organ was donated.  The antique organ was donated to St. Andrew's Pioneer Presbyterian Church on Mission Hill.

Pre 1984 Sanctuary

The above black and white photo of the Sanctuary shows the 1959 pump organ sitting on the left side of the chancel.  

"The chancel was renovated from the original choir loft in 1973. Windows (memorial or dedication)  were replace due to frame rot before that." (REF.) Pews were refinished in 2004.

Stained Glass Windows

"The windows (added in 2006), designed by Karin Clark and Nancy Morrison, and crafted by Nancy, follow the life of Christ clockwise from the cross. The bevelled glass represents the colours of the rainbow and the promises of God.  The first dove faces down as the spirit descents to earth, then the doves fly clockwise with the last dove rising at the tomb window.  The front windows show Jesus after his resurrection.  The red trim around the windows represents the blood Christ shed for us.  The bevelled glass will split light into rainbows reminding us of the promises of God.  The wheat coloured trim reminds us of the gifts of the earth.  The women depicted in most of the windows remind us of the support women haven given the church over the centuries." (REF.)

( REF. 2006 photo)

The colored photo from the booklet Union Bay United Community Church, 1906-2006 shows the 1984 electric Hammond organ on the left side of the chancel.  It also shows the light box stained glass windows mounted on either side of the original cross.

Over the years this very active congregation has sponsored and participated in many groups: Sunday School, Choirs, Ladies Aid/Ellen McKay Circle, Missionary Society, U. C. W., Evening Circle, Bible Study, C.G.I.T*, Explorers, Brownies, Guides, Youth Clubs, Boy's Clubs.

Sketch of church by Diane Etherington

*C.G.T.T.: Canadian Girls in Training, a group for girls grade 7 to 12 based on
                     the scripture Luke 2: 52, "And Jesus increased in wisdom and in
                     stature and in favor with God and man." Suzanne Wilson was a 
                     Provincial Chairperson in the 1980's.
Thank you: To Nora at the Union Bay P. O. next to the church for the Reference
                      booklet below.
Photos: Taken in June 2013 by SW.
Reference: Union Bay United Community Church, 1906-2006.
Link 1:,_British_Columbia
God, be with the persecuted Christians through out the world. Amen

Sunday, September 15, 2013

707 W. Hornet Avenue
Pier 3

USS Hornet Aircraft Carrier-Chapel
Alameda, California

"The USS Hornet Museum is a museum ship in Alameda, California, USA. (Link 1.)  Tucked away on the lower deck is the Library which also serves as the Chapel.  In front of rows of blue chairs are the altar, the small organ, and the lectern.
Sign for the Library and Chapel

Chapel area of the Library
"• Every Sunday – Protestant Divine ServicesHornet Chaplain John Berger conducts church services at 11:00am in the ship's Chapel. All hands and guests are welcome." (Link 4.)  The Sunday bulletin is titled "All Hands General Worship". (See photo below.)

"All Hands General Worship" Bulletin

The Office of the Chaplaincy is adjacent to the worship area.  Hanging on the side walls are photos of past chaplains as well as the crest of the "Chaplain Corp, U. S. Navy". (See photo below.)

Crest of Chaplain Corps, U. S. Navy

Bibles, spiritual books, and hymnals are available in bookcases lining the walls of the library area.

In a glass case opposite the worship area is the banner used at outdoor services. (See photo below.)


Worship services are held on deck for special occasions such as the one that was held this Memorial Day.

On Deck Worship Service

"This year marks the 13th year the museum is holding this ceremony (Memorial Day) and it will include a special invocation by retired U.S. Navy Cmdr. Chaplain John Berger, a special wreath-tossing ceremony off the ship, and the presentation of Colors by the Boy Scouts of America. There will also be musical performances featuring the Hornet Band and the Young American Patriots Fife & Drum Corps beginning at 11 a.m." (Link 3.)
"It (USS Hornet Museum) is composed of the USS Hornet (CV-12) aircraft carrier, exhibits from the NASAApollo moon exploration missions, and several retired aircraft from the Second World War and the transonic and early supersonic jet propulsion period. A number of compartments contain exhibits concerning contemporary carriers that are supported by related associations. The flight deck, hangar deck, and first deck below are open for self-guided tours. Docent-led tours are available into the ship's navigation and flight deck control areas of the island and down into one of the engineering spaces containing two of the four ship's propulsion turbines.
"It is located on the southernmost pier of the former Naval Air Station Alameda. There are plans to relocate it to the corner of the Seaplane Lagoon closest to the Alameda Point Museum in conjunction with a ferry terminal and a light rail or bus connection toBART." (Link 1.)
"The USS Hornet CV-12 is one of the 24 legendary Essex-class aircraft carriers built during and after World War II. Built at Newport News, Virginia, and the eighth ship to be named “Hornet,” she is one of the most decorated ships of the US Navy.  For 16 continuous months Hornet was in action in the forward areas of the Pacific combat zone, sometimes within 40 miles of the Japanese home islands.
"Hornet participated in World War II, the Vietnam War, and the first moon missions.
  • Earned 9 battle stars for her service in WWII
  • Awarded the Presidential Unit Citation for her WWII operations (only nine carriers so cited).
  • Flawlessly recovered the Apollo 11 space capsule and the first men to walk on the moon. A few months later, she also recovered the Apollo 12 capsule and its all-Navy crew; 1969
  • USS Hornet (CVS-12) is designated a National Historic Landmark; 1991
  • Hornet opens to the public as an aircraft carrier museum in Alameda, California; 1998
  • USS Hornet is designated a State Historic Landmark; 1999.
  • The F/A-18 strike fighter carries on the name of Hornet in today's NAVY." (Link 2.)
Photos: Taken in June 2013 by SW.
Link 1:
Link 2:
Link 3:
Link 4:


God, be with the persecuted Christians through out the world. Amen (SW.)

Sunday, September 8, 2013


Cathedral of St. Louis
Tunis/Carthage, Tunisia

"In the late 19th century, Hussein II Bey authorised the French consul-general to build a cathedral on the site of ancient Carthage, and to take all the land necessary for the project. The consul charged his son Jules, with this duty and having closely examined possible sites, he concluded that the chapel ought to be built on Byrsa Hill, in the centre of the Punic acropolis, where the temple of Aesculapius was once located.

"King Louis-Philippe approved the project. The architect chosen conceived a building of modest proportions that contained a mix of Gothic and Byzantine styles. In any case, he succeeded in giving it the look of a rich marabout similar to the royal chapel at Dreux. A cross, the only one standing at that time in Tunisia, topped the building. Descendants of crusaders' families, and companions of the sovereign, helped finance the construction.

"Built between 1884 and 1890, under the French protectorate, the cathedral acquired primacy for all of Africa when the title of primate of Africa was restored for the benefit of Cardinal Lavigerie, titular of the Archdioceses of Algiers and Carthage. The building was consecrated with great pomp in the presence of numerous dignitaries." (Link 2.)

The cathedral of Saint Louis, which crowns the hill is now a cultural center. It is near the   national museum of Carthage which holds an impressive collection of Punic statues, steles and urns .  If you walk down to the bottom of the wide staircase on the other side of the parking lot in front of the cathedral parts of the walls of Carthage are exposed: you can touch this part of history that is 2000 years old.

Photo: Copy of Carthage post card taken in April 2010 by SW.
Link 1:,_Carthage
Link 2:

Sunday, September 1, 2013

Mount Baker Presbyterian Church
Concrete, Washington

"Concrete is a town located in north-central Skagit County, Washington, United States. At the time of the 2000 census, the town's population was officially at 790 residents within the town-limits. The town of Concrete is included in the Mount Vernon-Anacortes, Washington Metropolitan Statistical Area." (See Link.)

Mount Baker Presbyterian Church "Built in 1908 with a log-hewn outer structure. The church's first minister, Reverend L.C. Michaels did most of the carpentry work and assisted in bringing the logs for the construction down from the surrounding hills on horseback. Originally built for a capacity of 310, the full-basement houses a kitchen, restrooms, and meeting area. The building has been since remodeled and some of the original log-structure no longer visible." (See Link.)

Photo: Taken in Concrete, Washington in September 2010.
Link 1:,_Washington
Note: For more about Concrete, Washington see Blog Post Demolition Mama, September 18, 2010 "Saturday Travel Feature, Concrete Grade School, Concrete, Washington."


God, be with the persecuted Christians through out the world. Amen (SW.)