Sunday, June 30, 2013

                                                                                                                        June 30, 2015

3095 florence.jpg
3095 East Florence Avenue
(Link 1.)

St. Matthias Catholic Church
Huntington Park, California

Huntington Park is a city within Los Angeles County, to the south of downtown Los Angeles.

Saint Matthias.PNG
St. Matthias

"St. Matthias (Hebrew transliteration Mattityahu) (d. 80), according to the Acts of the Apostles, was the apostle chosen by the remaining eleven apostles to replace Judas Iscariot following Judas' betrayal of Jesus and suicide.[2] His calling as an apostle is unique in that his appointment was not made personally by Jesus, who had already ascended to heaven, and, it was made before the descent of the Holy Spirit upon the early Church." (Link 2.)

3095 florence- interior.jpg
(Link 1.)

"Built in 1951 in the Gothic Revival style by notable church architect, Anthony A. Kauzor, who became known in the mid-20th century for his church designs in Southern California and worked on several projects for the Roman Catholic Archdiocese of Los Angeles, including the St. Finbar Church of Burbank (1940), Church of the Nativity in Torrance (1938), and Our Mother of Good Counsel Church in Los Angeles (1959).

"Also, the establishment of the church in 1913, a few short years after the incorporation of the City, illustrates the importance of the church to the City’s initial development. According to James Kinsey in Images of America: Huntington Park, “This Catholic church has always played an important role in the community, but it is even more so in modern times with the influx of the Hispanic culture.”

"The interior of St. Matthias Church is extremely intact and continues to convey strong characteristics of the influence of the Gothic Revival style, which feature the use of leaded stained glass, high decorative ceilings to create an illusion of grandeur, the use of wood, and the use of various types of arches.

"St. Matthias Church was designated (Historic Preservation by City of Huntington Park) in August 2008. "(Link.)


Altar of St. Matthias Catholic Church 1963
(From Wedding Album of Dennis and Diane Pagenkopp)

June 1, 1963 Alan Wilson was a groomsman in the Pagenkopp wedding (3rd from the right).  June 2013 Alan and Suzanne joined with 100 others at a 50th Wedding Anniversary Party in the Pagenkopp backyard in Downey, California.

Happy 50th Wedding Anniversary Dennis and Diane

Link 2:


God, be with the persecuted Christians through out the world. Amen 

Sunday, June 23, 2013

                                                                                     June 23, 2012
231 East 15th Street
(Photo taken in 2013 from corner of East 13th Street and St. Georges Avenue.)

Lion's Gate Hospital Chapel
North Vancouver, B.C. Canada

"The chapel at Lions Gate Hospital is open to persons of all faiths and religious traditions for prayer and meditation. It is located on the main floor 
near the Admissions/Discharge entrance, which is opposite Evergreen House
 (Residential Care). The chapel is open 24 hours a day.

"There is no chapel in Evergreen House.

"A chaplain is available on-call 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. Outside 
regular office hours, a team of on-call chaplains responds to emergencies. 
The chaplain is able to visit you at your bedside, or any other area of the 
Evergreen House that is comfortable for you.

"Chaplain's office hours. Monday to Friday 8:30 am - 4:30 pm. The chaplain is a member of the Canadian Association for (Spiritual Care (CASC)). (*Andres Rebane, update.)

"Worship Services Evergreen House:
       Sunday Worship Service
         Sundays 4:00 - 4:30 pm 
Bible Study
 Friday (*) 3:00 pm 
 1 South
Roman Catholic Mass
 First Thursday of the month
 10:30 am (*)- 1-South.
 Hymn Sing
 Third Friday of the month 
 10:30 am(*)- 1 South (except July and August *)

Lions Gate Hospital Chapel:
Communion Service 
 Tuesdays (*2:00 – 2:30) pm for anyone 
who wishes to participate " (Link 1.)

The "sod turning" for the original hospital tower on East 13th Street was in 1959. Evergreen House, the extended/residential care building, was added in 1971.  And the Northern Expansion with the address on East 15th Street was built and then connected to the original hospital tower in 1979.   The hospital chapel is located in this Northern Expansion. (The New Chapel was dedicated on June 1, 1980.  The Hospital Chapel was located in a different place before. *) "There is also a new nicely appointed chapel." (REF.)

Original 1979 Chapel (REF.)

Hospital Chapel 2013

The hospital chapel in 2013 features a cross on the wall behind a large dark wooden altar.  The lighting on draperies frame the cross. The room also includes an electric organ and some hymnals.  A Bible and Prayer Request book sit on the altar.
Chapel Electric Organ 2013

Bible on Chapel Altar 2013

Several helpful pamphlets are available in the chapel.  Some of the pamphlets include "Saying God-bye to a Loved One Who Is Dying" and "The Ten Biggest Myths About Grief".  There is also the brochure  "Spiritual Care" describing services available from a Chaplain.  

 "The Spiritual Care services at Evergreen House are coordinated by the hospital chaplain.  Spiritual Care volunteers from various local churches are helping with the regular Sunday Worship services at EGH." (*)  Local church choirs have also participated.

Photos: Taken in April 2013 by SW.
Updated Information: * Andres Rebane, Chaplain Coordinator of
                 Spiritual Care
Reference: The Story of the Lion's Gate Hospital, 1908-1980, by Sally Carswell.
Link 1:

"Oh Holy One,
We pray for healing and wholeness for ourselves and others.
Help us to be aware of Your presence and guidance
Bless us with a sense of hope and strenth to endure life's circumstances
and with joy to live fully each day without regret.
Thank you for that, each of us matter to you, O God." (A. Rebane.)

Sunday, June 16, 2013

                                                                                                           June 16, 2013

2641 Chesterfield Avenue/north side of lot
(1955 Photo)

North Lonsdale Presbyterian/St. Stephen's Presbyterian/St. Andrew's and St. Stephen's Presbyterian Church
North Vancouver, B.C. Canada

The second Presbyterian Home Mission started in 1910.  Their first services  held services in the Exhibition Hall/Exhibition Hall at East 23rd and Lonsdale Avenue.  "This mission was known as "North Lonsdale Presbyterian Church"... (REF 1.)

1908 Horticultural Building/Exhibition Hall-NVArchives

 In that same year "Alexander Philip and Robert Fowler presented the congregation with the deeds for three lots...This is the site, at the southwest corner of (West) 27th Street and Chesterfield Avenue, which our present church buildings occupy... The plans, drawn up by architect Alexander Law, specified the dimensions of the building as 24 feet by 24 feet.  It was built by carpenter W.J. Campbell for about $1138.00.... In November of 1910,...the congregation walked from the Exhibition Hall up to the church one evening carrying lanterns to light the way." (REF.)  In 1915 the name of the church was changed to "St. Stephen's Presbyterian Church". (REF 1.)  The church site was on the north side  of the three donated lots-adjacent to 27th Street-where the church hall now sits.  

"When the vote on Church Union was taken (1925) at St. Stephen's Presbyterian Church the members reject it with a 75% majority,  thus they were able to retain their church building and all its 1952 St. Andrew's and St. Stephen's joined together to give our church the name it bears today....In 1955 the former  St. Andrew's Presbyterian Church on East 12th Street was sold....the congregation of St. Andrew' and St. Stephen's approved plans for a new sanctuary that would seat 250 people...the estimated cost was $29,500....At this time there were 204 members and 211 Sunday School pupils.  the new sanctuary is the same one we use today." (REF 1.)  This building sits on the south side of the three lots donated in 1910, adjacent to the lane.

1961 Church Hall on right-2013
(Site of the 1910 church.)

"In 1961 it was decided that a Christian Education Building was needed at an estimated cost of $60,000....the labour for this new building was provided by the men of the congregation.  They tore down the "old church" which had stood on the site for 50 years, and on November 7th of that year the new building was dedicated too the glory of God." (REF 1.) 

The organ that provided music for Sunday worship services in the "old church " (191o to 1961) was sold for $50 to Herb Shopp of St. Mark's Lutheran Church in the City of North Vancouver. (See Blog Post March 18, 2012.)  

For more information on St. Andrew's and St. Stephen's Presbyterian 
                 Church see Blog Post 3/3/13.
Reference 1: History of St. Andrew's and St. Stephen's Presbyterian Church
                 pages 1-15 out of 23, given to SW January 2013 by Angela Edmonds.
Reference 2: City of North Vancouver Heritage Inventory 1994.
Thank you: To Church Administrator Angela Edmonds for a tour and history
                 of the church.
Photos: Top photo-copy of photo on wall of church, taken in 
                 2013 by SW.
                 Center photo from North Vancouver Archives Bu P392.1.
                 Bottom photo taken in January 2013 by SW.


God, be with the persecuted Christians through out the world. Amen

Sunday, June 9, 2013

                                                                                                        June 9, 2013
Saint Thomas Aquinas High School
541 West Keith Road

Saint Thomas Aquinas Chapel
North Vancouver, B.C. Canada

"The Sisters of the Child Jesus arrived in British Columbia in 1898 with a desire to do missionary work with the First Nations people of the North Shore. In 1957, after a half century of teaching involvement in the area, the sisters were approached to support the establishment of a Catholic High School on the North Shore.... (The) Provincial Superior of the order, offered to lease land owned by the sisters for the school,...  The Sisters of the Child Jesus agreed to staff the school.
"In 1959 the building was complete and the school opened with ... with nine teaching Sisters and two lay teachers. Among the almost two hundred students that first year was Denece Billesberger, (See June 2, 2013 Blog Post.)  a young woman who would in 1964 join the Sisters in their work and eventually become the Provincial of the Canadian Province for her order. 
"Between 1960 and 1975 the Sisters of the Child Jesus continued to administer the school....
Convent Wing of St. Thomas Aquinas High School
524 West 6th Street

" 2000 the convent of the Sisters of the Child Jesus was purchased by the archdiocese. This heritage building now houses the music, drama and choir programs. It is also the home of our beautiful chapel. ... the school enrollment climbed to 580." (Link 1.) 

Chapel at Rear of Convent Wing/West Side

The Chapel at the rear of the Convent has undergone some changes since the original blueprints were drawn up. (See Blog Post June 6, 2013.)  It seems the north entrance was moved to the north-west side garden. (See steps in photo above.)  A garage was added to the north side of the building where the original entrance had been. (See photo above and below.)

Chapel at Rear of Convent Wing/East Side

The interior of the Chapel has also undergone changes as seen when comparing the photo of the original 1932 Chapel (See Blog Post June 6, 2013.) with the 2002 photo below.)  However, it seems the side windows have remained the same.

 Chapel of Convent Wing-Interior(2002)

Rather than niches for statues  on each side of the Chancel, there are now doors. The doors go to the rooms on either side of the Chancel, originally the Boy's Sacristy and the Priest's Sacristy.  In the 1932 these doors entered directly into the Chancel. Statues now hang between the side windows.  The ceiling light fixtures do seem to be original. The pews with a cross detail seem to be the original, as well.

Note: For more information on the history of the Convent see Blog Post June 2, 2013. 
Photos: Taken in 2002 by SW.  On file in the B&W photo collection at the North Vancouver Archives.
Link 1:
Link 2:

Sunday, June 2, 2013

                                                                                                                 June 2, 2013

524 West 6th Street
(North Vancouver Archives Photo #3444)

Sisters of the Child Jesus-Convent Chapel
North Vancouver, B.C. Canada

Much of the origins of the Convent Chapel of the Sisters of the Child Jesus is told in blueprints on file at the North Vancouver Archives.  

"The sisters of the Child Jesus founded in 1667, came to Canada from Le Puy France in 1896.  ...(they) came to the West Coast of Canada.

"The Sisters came at the request of Paul Durieu, omi, Bishop of New Westminster.  ...four came to North Vancouver to establish what became known as St. Paul's School. 

"In 1897 the Sisters of the Child Jesus bought five city blocks of land in North Vancouver from the government.  St. Paul's residential school was built on this site... (approximately where the Convent Annex and St. Thomas Aquinas High School parking lot now are.)

"In 1910 ...for a dollar the Sisters sold the land needed to build St. Edmund's Catholic Church... In 1911 the Sisters built St. Edmund's School and in 1949 sold it to the Archdioceses of Vancouver.  The present Convent (Originally built as the regional headquarters of the Sisters of the Child Jesus.)  was built in 1932. (The Building Permit was for a $3600 building.) 1961 the Annex was added on to the West side of the building.  During the 60's, the Convent and Annex provided accommodation for 60 Sisters." (REF 1.)

Main Floor of Convent
(Chapel seen as rear extension.)

The Chapel is in the center rear of the Convent on both the main and upper floors. The entrance was in line with the front West 6th Street door of the Convent.  The nave was 25' 10" across with a center aisle and two side aisles and an oak lower floor.  The altar was made of marble from France.  Originally there were ceiling windows in the chancel.  However, these were covered up in a remodeling.  

Main Floor Chapel

Upper Floor of Convent

Center doors open to  balcony on the upper floor of the Chapel.  The floors here are made of fir.  On the west side of the balcony was a bedroom reserved for sisters who were ill.  It was fitted with a window into the chapel to allow them to see and hear the services.

Upper Floor of Chapel

Exterior Elevation of Chapel

The two story Chapel had pointed arched windows and an entrance with a small porch at the rear of the Convent. This entrance led to a hall and then to the Boy's Sacristy on the east side of the Chapel and the Priest's Sacristy on the west side.  Both of these then had doors into the Sanctuary chancel.

Entrance to the Convent Chapel
(at the rear of the building)

Original Chapel
(Copy of a photo hanging on the wall of the Convent in 2002.)
 In the year 2000 the Vancouver Archdiocese purchased the Convent.  It is now used by St. Thomas Aquinas High School.  "This heritage building now houses the music, drama and choir programs. It is also the home of our beautiful chapel." (Link.)  

Note: For more information on the Convent of the Child Jesus see Blog 
            Post 6/9/13.
 Photos:  A series of black and white photos of details of the interior of the
            building were taken in 2002 for the permanent collection at the North
            Vancouver Archives. 
Reference 1: Notes from meeting with Sister Denece Billesberger, 2002.  Sister
            Billesberger was the last remaining Sister of the Child Jesus living in the 
            Convent building.
Reference 2: Blueprints are on file at the North Vancouver Archives.

Blueprint Title

Reference 3: The Outlook, "Convent to be Converted", Nov. 15, 2001.

God, be with the persecuted Christians through out the world. Amen