Sunday, March 31, 2013

6404 Wellington Avenue

St. Monica's Anglican Church
Horseshoe Bay, B.C. Canada

Horseshoe Bay, B.C.

"Horseshoe Bay is a West Vancouver community of about 1,000 permanent residents. Situated right on the western tip of West Vancouver, at the entrance to Howe Sound, the village marks the western end of Highway 1 on the British Columbia mainland, as well as the southern end of the Sea-to-Sky Highway, with Lions Bay just 15 minutes north.

"A major BC Ferries terminal is located here, providing vehicle ferry links to Vancouver Island, the Sunshine Coast, and Bowen Island, a small island in the southern part of Howe Sound..." (Link 3.)

1960 Sanctuary on left 
(Lower Level on the right was the first 1951 church building.)

"The earlist  church services in the Whytecliff - Horseshoe Bay area were held  in various  homes, the Horseshoe Bay Motel, the Cottage Inn and the Community Hall.  This occured through the 1920's the 1930's and into the 1940's.  In late 1941 the Whytecliff Anglican Women's Guild was organized. This small group of women arranged various  social functions to raise money.  The proceeds were used to buy the land where the current St. Monica's church hall stands.   By 1946 the building fund had grown.  In 1948  a building   permit was approved  by the Municipality of West Vancouver.  By 1950 a frame building with rough flooring was erected.  The first church service was held in the newly completed church hall on Jan 14, 1951.  

1960 Sanctuary
(Set up for February 16, 2013 evening concert.)

"The church continued to grow and in March of 1957 the Synod purchased the land beside the hall and construction of the Sanctuary began in March of 1959.  It was on Trinity Sunday, June 12, 1960 that the first church service was held in the newly built beautiful  Sanctuary,  where the services continue on to this day." (Link 2.)

The centerpiece of the Sanctuary is the large modern rectangular stained glass window set in the brick wall directly behind the altar. It is the work of French artist Gabriel Loire. His windows can also be seen in St. Andrew's-Wesley Church in Vancouver. (Link 5.)

 The work of other artisans is also apparent.  The hand crafted St. Monica banner on the left side of the chancel and a similar banner in the narthex  were made by congregation member Romanie Stewart. (See photo below.) 

Narthex Banner

The center aisle ends of the two rows of pews feature octagons of hand carved and colored biblical images. (See photos below.)

Sanctuary Pew Carving
"I a the bread of life."

Sanctuary Pew Carving
"I am the good shepard."

Sanctuary Pew Carving
"The three kings."

The building to the left of the front entrance of the church is the original 1951 church building.  The row of windows along the top of the right hand side exterior wall show off the greenery outside.  This room is now used as a Fellowship Hall.

Right side/Lower Level Fellowship Hall
(Original 1951 Church)

Also on the lower level is a lounge. The wall of large windows again bring the  outdoors inside.

Lower Level Lounge

Outdoors, to the left of the church is the Coronation Bell made in England. It  celebrates the 1952 coronation of Queen Elizabeth II. 

Coronation Bell

To the right of the front steps is the H O P E flower garden of pansies.    "During the warm month of September, 2012, The Reverend Janice Lowell, in her office, said a prayer. The focus of the prayer was HOPE. While Janice was praying, Nate Orasuk, a Horseshoe Bay Landscape Designer, and St. Monica’s parishioner, was digging. Apparently, he got the message. Nate was digging a garden of HOPE for St. Monica’s: an outward and visible sign of what is growing within.  St. Monica’s has a lot of hope for the future, ..." (Link 4.)

Hope Flower Garden (Link 4.)

Sign at entrance to church driveway

Thank you: To Rev. Janice Mount Lowell for church information.
Link 4:

Happy Easter 2013


God, be with the persecuted Christians through out the world. Amen

Sunday, March 24, 2013

                                                                                                                                  March 24, 2013
105 West 12th Street

Salvation Army
North Vancouver, B.C. Canada

"In 1887 the Salvation Army begins in Vancouver with four ladies known as the "Hallelujah Lassies."  At Hallelujah Point in Stanley Park a (1982) commemorative plaque reads:

Hallelujah Point
"Commemorating the pioneer of the work of the Salvation Army
in Vancouver it was on this clearing the Salvation Army erected a rugged shelter, and picnic table, and then held services of song in the silent atmosphere of the early Burrard Inlet.  The sound of the Hallelujah Lassies singing "Hallelujah, Hallelujah, Hallelujah," could be clearly heard across the waters to downtown early Vancouver Water and Cordova Streets-and the clearing was thus named Hallelujah Point."

"Sign Installation marks the new home 
of the North Vancouver branch of 
The Salvation Army at 12th Street 
and Lonsdale Avenue." (REF.)

..."The new home of the North Vancouver branch of the Salvation Army at 105 West 12th Street and Lonsdale Avenue was opened in 1967.  The $100,000 building was designed by Mercer and Mercer of Vancouver, and built by Mainland Construction...Burnaby.

Wrought iron support for entrance awning

"Masonry for the building was supplied by Alton and Nerheim Masonry Limited,...Vancouver and wood supplies provided by Woodlam Products of...North Vancouver.

"...The building was constructed to house church and offices on the main floor and an activity room and kitchen on the lower floor.  The modern two storey brick structure was built as a project to mark the Centennial of the Salvation Army which was in 1965.

"..a 30-voice Salvation Army Choir and Sunday afternoon and... morning and
evening sermons (were part of the official opening.)

"Seating for 120 persons is provided in the main chapel...(REF.)

1976 Building Plan for Salvation Army store at 241 Lonsdale Avenue
(North Vancouver Archives collection)

In 1976 the Salvation Army built a thrift store at 241 Lonsdale Avenue.  Donated items are sold to the public.  As of 2012  the store also became the collection center for used electronics: computer equipment, television sets, etc.

Letterhead 2010


"The Salvation Army began its work in Canada in 1882, just fifteen years after Confederation, and quickly began giving hope to those in need in this country and around the world.

"The first open-air ‘meetings’, or worship services, were held in Toronto in January, 1882, and in London, Ontario, five months later. ...

"From the beginning, the Army in Canada adopted founder William Booth’s philosophy that there is little point preaching ‘salvation’ to hungry people. And so the concept of ‘soup and salvation’ took hold, later to be developed into the comprehensive social service programs The Salvation Army operates today, many of them in partnership with government.

"William Booth was a dissident Methodist minister, who took his Wesleyan sensibilities and Christ’s command to ‘feed my sheep’ to their logical conclusion. Starting as The Christian Mission in the East End of London, England, in 1865, it was re-named The Salvation Army in 1878, to reflect the increasingly military structure the movement had adopted.

"When the Army came to Canada, there was much opposition to its methods from civic politicians and other entrenched interests in the early days, and Salvationists were often beaten and jailed for their activities in the streets of Canada’s cities and towns. Despite this, there was eventual acceptance of the movement as it demonstrated the social benefits that accrued from its activities. The men’s social work began in 1890 with a Prison Gate Home in Toronto. The same year a Children’s Shelter was opened. The first Maternity home was opened in Saint John, N.B. in 1898, precursor to the Salvation Army Grace Hospitals. In 1901 The Salvation Army recommended to the federal government that a prisoner probation system be adopted, leading to Canada’s first parole program. In 1908 salvage work (now called recycling) began in Toronto, leading to the well-known Thrift Stores. In 1911 the first Juvenile Detention Centre was established in Manitoba and turned over to the Army to operate. That same year a farm colony was established in Coombs, B.C.

"The Salvation Army’s status in Canada was entrenched in law in 1909 when parliament passed an Act giving the organization legal standing, its governance to be conducted by The Governing Council of The Salvation Army in Canada, a situation which continues to this day...

"In 1914 the Army shared in the national tragedy of the sinking of The Empress of Ireland in the St. Lawrence. On board were more than 120 Salvationists, bound for an international congress in London. Most of them, including the national commander and members of the Canadian Staff Band, were drowned. The Staff Band was not re-formed until 1969.

"Canada’s involvement in the Great War of 1914-1918 saw the appointment of the first Salvation Officer as a chaplain in the Canadian armed forces, and the donation of five motor ambulances to forces serving overseas. At the end of the war, military hostels were opened in Winnipeg, London, Kingston, Toronto, and other cities, for returning soldiers.

"All of this demonstrates the unique ability of The Salvation Army to respond to urgent needs – the Halifax explosion and Winnipeg flood being examples...
"Innovation in social services continued even as the organization matured: the first seniors’ residence, or Eventide Home, was opened in Edmonton in 1926, and Grace Hospitals were opened in major cities across the country, as were homes for unmarried mothers.

"The onset of World War II found the Army accompanying Canada’s armed forces overseas not only as chaplains but as the operators of Maple Leaf Clubs, providing rest and relaxation for the troops. By the end of the war there were clubs in Britain, France, Germany, Belgium, Holland and India...

"Salvationists now formally worship in 11 languages and provide services in many others. In the post-war years further social service innovations included an anti-suicide bureau and victim witness assistance programs, the latter eventually being absorbed by the criminal justice system...

"The Salvation Army is now the largest non-governmental direct provider of social services in the country...

"Today in Canada The Salvation Army has 877 active officers (clergy), more than 18,000 soldiers (church members) and close to 44,000 adherents; that is, people who claim the Army as their church home, but who are not formal members. There are 311 corps (churches) and more than 330 social-service institutions of various kinds. As well as the many thousands of volunteers, more than 10,000 people are employed by The Salvation Army in the Canada and Bermuda Territory. Fifty-five Canadian officers and lay staff also serve overseas in countries from Papua New Guinea to South Africa." (Link .)

Photos: Top photo taken in the year 2000 as part of the project Your House/
                 Our Home by SW on file at the North Vancouver Archives.
Reference: 'The opening of the SALVATION ARMY CHAPEL, North Vancouver.
                 Saturday February 11, 1967  by Roy J V Pallant, North Vancouver 
                 Historical Society publication

Sunday, March 17, 2013

515 West Windsor Road

The Bridge (Delbrook Baptist) Church
North Vancouver, B.C. Canada

"The beginning of our church go back to post World War II when the Mount Pleasant Baptist church in Vancouver first established a Sunday School on the North Shore.  The original chapel at 515 West Windsor Road and Sunday School rooms were constructed in 1955...and Delbrook Baptist Church was established. (REF.) The Building Permit book at the North Vancouver Archives indicates that a$27,000 permit was issued to Mount Pleasant Baptist Church in 1956.

Original 1956 Chapel-2013
(On left in top photo)

                   Interior of Original 1956 Chapel
                 ( Now the Youth Room.)

The Building Permit book at the North Vancouver Archives lists a 1962 church addition at Delbrook Baptist church.  This larger building with its distinctive roof shape (seen in the photo at the top) includes the new sanctuary with a large rear balcony and center peaked roof outlined in a circular fan of beams. Windows march around the top of the walls where they meet the ceiling, emphasizing its octagon shape.

1962 Sanctuary-2013

1962 Sanctuary Balcony

1962 Balcony and Sanctuary Ceiling Detail

The stained glass front floor to ceiling windows in both the 1956 Chapel and the 1962 Sanctuary are made up of rectangular panes of yellow, aqua, red and clear glass.  However, those of the 1956 Chapel are much larger and in a random patter.  The stained glass panes in the 1962 Sanctuary are aligned in rows.

1962 Sanctuary Stained Glass Windows-2013

A wooden world map hangs in the narthex of the 1962 Sanctuary.  It was intended as a "missional map" and made by a member of the congregation, Roy Ellerman.  He also made the large wooden cross hanging opposite the clear glass front doors of the building.

"Missional Map" by Roy Ellerman

"Since 2000 we have repositioned ourselves in order to do a better job reaching people on the North Shore and around the world.  Firstly, we have relocated to Capilano College to better accommodate our space needs for Sunday mornings.  Secondly, we have re-named ourselves as "The Bridge" to better speak our mission of "building bridges into people's lives."  Thirdly, but most importantly, we have created new programs to address the needs of the community....To that end, our long term goal is to purchase property and build a facility which is more suited to serving the community.

Capilano Performing Arts Theatre: Capilano University

"Since 2001, we are the mother church for a Spanish Speaking church, Puertas a Biertas, reaching Mexican and South American families from all over the lower mainland." (REF.)

The 515 Windsor Road church is also the Sunday worship venue for the North Shore Pacific Grace MB Church. Separate services are in English, Cantonese and Mandarin. (Link 3.)

Sign outside 515 Windsor Road Church

Note: In 2014 North Shore Pacific Grace MB Church bought the church from The Bridge.  The Bridge bought St. Clara-in-the-Cove.

Sign at St.-Clara-in-the-Cove 
(See Blog Post 4/3/11.)
Reference: 2004 web site
Photos: Taken in January 2013 by SW.

Sunday, March 10, 2013

                                                                                                                     March 10, 2013

Posthumous Churches of the City of North Vancouver
(North Vancouver Neighborhood Map)

Posthumous Churches  
City of North Vancouver, B.C. Canada

(Listed by date built or in use.)

Name                                    Dates in Use               Address                  Blog Post Date
F* Moodyville Methodist, circa 1865-1901, Moodyville, 12/16/12.

D* Dorman's Shack, church use-late 1890's to 1900 Anglican/1903 
      Presbyterian, East 13th Street at Lonsdale Ave., 9/2/12.

*** St. John's Anglican 1900-1909, West 13th Street (moved to West 3rd and
       Chesterfield Avenue), 9/9/12.

St. Andrew's Presbyterian, 1904-1933, 100 Block East Keith Rd.,  11/18/12.

Baptist Church, 1909- circa 1912, corner of east 5th Street and St. Georges, 

F St. John's Anglican 19o9-1985, West 13th Street, 9/16/12.

D Methodist Church, 1910-1915, 425 St. Georges Avenue, 10/6/13.

 Sixth Street Methodist, 1910-1926, 167 East 6th Street, 3/25/12.

D North Lonsdale Presbyterian Church/St Stephen's Presbyterian Church/St. 
    Andrew's and St. Stephen's Presbyterian Church, 1910-1961, 
    2641 Chesterfield Avenue/north side of lot, 3/3/13.

First Baptist Church, 1912-1967, 161 East 12th Street,  10/28/12.

*** First Church of Christ Scientist, 1925-2008, 185 East Keith Road, 1/27/13.

** Sixth Street United Church/St. Andrew's Church Hall,
     1926-1940's, 167 East 6th Street, 3/25/2012.

* Foursquare Gospel Tabernacle, 1930-1934, 132 East 12th Street, 1/20/13.

*** Sisters of the Child Jesus-Convent Chapel, 1932-2000, 524 West 6th Street, 

St. Andrew's Presbyterian 1933-1955, 121 East 12th Street, 3/25/12.

D** North Shore Lutheran, 1940's-1954, 167 East 6th Street, 3/25/12.

Elim Pentacostal Chapel, 1942-1973, 124 West 8th Street,  7/1/12.

Hillside Baptist Church, 1950-1973, 139 East Lower Keith Rd., 2/16/14

** *** Evangelical Free Church, 1952-1984, 1400 Sutherland Avenue, 2/17/13.

D St. Mark's Lutheran,  1955-1969, 137 West 6th Street, 3/18/12.

** Jehovah Witness Hall, 1955-1976, 121 East 12th Street, 2/13/11.

Sutherland Bible Chapel, 1970-1995, 630 East 19th Street, 1/19/14.

* Church met in existing building.
** Church bought existing church building.
*** Church buildings that continue to be in use.
F Destroyed by Fire
D Demolished

22 church congregations
17 church buildings originally built
13 church buildings demolished
5 church building used by other church congregations
2 buildings destroyed by fire
4 church buildings still in use
1 church building still used, but not a church

Note: For more information on the City of North Vancouver, B. C. Canada see