220 West 8th Street
View from West 13th Street-2012
St. John the Evangelist Anglican Church
"The first Anglican church on the North Shore, St. John the Evangelist Parish was begun and organized as a mission in 1899. The first services were held in private residences and later in a small building at 13th Street and Lonsdale Ave. (Dorman's Shack, See Blog Post 9/2/12.) ... . In 1900, the church was built on the present site... as a Mission Church. This building was enlarged to double its capacity in 1907. (See Blog Post 9/9/12.)
The front of the church on West 13th Street features a stepped arch and circular empty window lighting the front doors below. A peaked cement block arch surrounds the entrance to the Sanctuary with a large circular window above the oak front double doors. In the exterior cement floor of the entrance area are laid the corner stones the 1900 and 1909 churches built on this site. The corner stone for this church, 1987, is in the right side of the base of the arch.
(Facing West 13th Street)
An East Side Exterior Tower Window-2012
Two Story Window Behind the Altar-2012
Top Stained Glass Window
Te Deum Window
These were all started as Missions. During this time the congregation of the Parish of St. John's also built and maintained the 1900 church, the 1909 church, the Memorial Church Hall, and a rectory. The community of North Vancouver thanks God for this dedicated and hard working congregation.
Thank you: To congregation members Jim Lawrence, Donna Lawrence, Alison
To Allison Mulligan, volunteer office manager, for a tour of
Colored photos taken in 2012 by SW.
Reference: Faithful People of God Parish of St. John's North Vancouver
by Beth Lawrence. Beth's grandfather Colin Jackson was a member
of the congregationin 1910.
Link 1: http://memorybc.ca/st-john-evangelist-parish-north-vancouver-b-c-fonds;rad