Sunday, April 29, 2012

                                                                                                                 April 29, 2012                                                

3220 South Grand Boulevard

Manito United Methodist Church
Spokane, Washington

The 1999 church booklet "Manito Memories" reports that the original  Manito Methodist Church was chartered in 1909 and a building designed by Kirtland Cutter built across the street from the existing parking lot in 1911.  The present building at 3220 S. Grand Blvd. was also designed by Kirtland Cutter. Construction was started in 1923 and the building was dedicated in 1924. The tower of the building was modeled after the Basilica of San Francisco in Assisi, Italy. (See Note.)  

Sanctuary with Altar, Pulpit,  and Organ

East Arcade of Sanctuary

Memorial Window in West Arcade of Sanctuary

Memorial Window in Sanctuary Balcony

"After the building was completed in 1924, the Spokesman-Review article described the church as..."The main auditorium seats 300 the gallery 125. On the same floor are the Epworth League room, a prayer room and the pastor's study.  On the street level floor are a ladies community room, a community hall seating 100, a dining room seating 100, and an electric kitchen.  The community hall will be a valuable for general purposes at any time.  The gymnasium is two stories high, extending from a sub basement through the ceiling of the street floor.  It will have a basketball and handball courts with shower baths, barber shop and toilet facilities for both men and women."(Link 3.)

The tower of the building was modeled after the Basilica of San Francisco in Assisi, Italy.  The sanctuary can hold a congregation of 250 and there is also a small chapel for intimate weddings and memorial services. (See Note.)

"After World War II, the South Hill area, like the rest of the nation, experienced a baby boom and the church was bursting at the seams.  Plans were drawn up for a three story educational wing addition that would contain classrooms, a chapel, (See photo below.)

Chapel on lower floor of educational wing addition.

 bride's room, offices and library.   A new sanctuary was also part of the plan.  The educational wing cost $275,000 so the new sanctuary building was postponed.  The new wing was consecrated on January 17, 1960.  The new sanctuary was never built, which leads to a challenge since the two buildings don't line up well.  As a result, there are many steps to move from one level to another. " (Link 3.)

In 1968 the church became Manito United Methodist Church.  Today approximately 100 worshipers attend the Sunday service.  (*See Note.)

"Kirtland Kelsey Cutter was primarily a Spokane architect with a significant practice in Spokane, Seattle, and Southern California, as well as commissions as far away as England. Of Spokane’s many prolific and successful architects, he is the best known to the general public today. Spokane is where he first made his reputation, his buildings giving clues about the “economy, power structure, social life, and changing fortunes” of the growing city ... Cutter’s career spanned 50 years, from 1889 to his death in 1939. His legacy of large-scale houses and public buildings still standing in Spokane, Seattle, Southern California, and elsewhere is varied and impressive.

"With the encouragement of his uncle, Horace Cutter, a Spokane banker, Kirtland Cutter came to the fledgling city in 1886 and decided to practice architecture rather than to pursue a career in art. Initially Cutter supplemented his income from architecture by working as a teller in his uncle’s bank. His first residential designs were for his uncle and for his own house, “Chalet Hohenstein,” in 1887. On the basalt-strewn South Hill overlooking downtown Spokane, both were in a somewhat Swiss style. He received two important commissions in 1889, probably through his uncle’s banking connections. He made a success of two fine Tudoresque half-timbered houses, also on the South Hill, for James N. Glover (1837-1921), considered the father of Spokane, and businessman F. Rockwood Moore. With these residences, Cutter “had begun his long career in Spokane designing houses in an Arts and Crafts manner that seemed to grow out of the rocky hillsides”..." (See Link 1.)

Among the other Spokane buildings that Kirtland Cutter designed are: 1898- Amasa B. Campbell House, now part of the Northwest Museum of Arts and Culture; 1898-Patsy Clark Mansion 2208 West Second Avenue which contains the largest stained glass window ever made by Tiffany Studios; 
1910-Spokane Club; 1911-Monroe Street Bridge; 1912-Waikiki Mansion, now Gonzaga University's Bozarth Center; and 1914-The Davenport Hotel. (See Link 1.)

Photo: Taken in Spokane, Washington in 2007 and 2012 by SW.
Note:   Thank you Rev. Flora Bowers for the history information given in our
               2010 phone conversation and to Pastor Roger in 2012.
Link 1:
Link 2:
Link 3:


God, be with the persecuted Christians through out the world. Amen (SW.)

Sunday, April 22, 2012

                                                                                                                             April 22, 2012
Holy Trinity Catholic Church
2725 Lonsdale Avenue

Holy Trinity Catholic Church
North Vancouver, B.C., Canada

"On February 13, 1948, the Archdiocese obtained the title to six lots on the corner of Lonsdale and 27th Street. Forty families formed the nucleus of the parish. At first they met for Mass and other church services in the basement of the home of Captain and Mrs. John Marron who lived at 3361 Lonsdale Ave. By December of 1948 the rectory was completed and Midnight Mass was held in the temporary chapel in the basement. For the next two years as many as 100 people squeezed into the tiny chapel. In the spring of 1950 construction began on the new church. And it was dedicated by Archbishop William Mark Duke on Trinity Sunday, May 20, 1951." (Link 1.)


Arcades were later added to the south and north side of the sanctuary to increase the seating capacity.  Paintings of the Stations of the Cross line both of these arcades.  As well, in the north arcade is a painting of Our Lady of Guadalupe (See Link 3.) and a statue of St. Joseph, the patron saint of Canada. (See Link 2.)

Our Lady of Guadalupe

St. Joseph, patron saint of Canada

"In 1954 additional land was acquired for parish growth and the construction of a new elementary school. (A new school was completed in 2012.) 

2012 School

"Expansions of the church, hall and kitchen have occurred in 1958, 1962, 1992, and 1997 increasing the capacity of the church to accommodate 425 people and church hall to 176. The parish now has 1,303 households registered and ministers to 3,600 people. " (See Link 1.)

North of the church is the church office building and the 1921 craftsman style house that was purchased by the church in the 1950's for use as a convent for the sisters teaching at the Holy Trinity Elementary School. (City of NV Heritage Inventory.)


 In the garden north of the convent is  a shrine to Mary.


Holy Trinity Catholic Church strives to serve the spiritual needs of its parishioners and the community.  The door to the Perpetual Adoration Chapel is next to the front doors of the church.  This chapel is open for prayer 24 hours a day.  And each year during the Christmas season, a nativity display above the front doors of the church tell the residence of North Vancouver, B.C. that "Christ is Born."

Christmas 2011, Nativity, above the front doors

Photos: Taken in 2012 by SW.
Link 1:
Link 2:
Link 3:
For Further Information: North Vancouver Archives files.
                                                     Traditions of Faith and Service.
                                                     City of North Vancouver 1994 Heritage 
     Inventory, p.111.

Sunday, April 15, 2012

                                                                                April 15, 2012

The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints
Brentwood Ward
Corner of North Stevens Street and Regina Street

The Church of Jesus Christ 
of Latter-Day Saints
Brentwood Ward
Spokane, Washington

Since 1979 the spire of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day-Saints has signified this Mormon Church on the corner of North Stevens and Regina Streets in the Brentwood area of the northern part of Spokane.  The architectural plans for the building are based on one of the approved designs of the Mormon Church, (See Link 1.) but were modified by a local architect to conform to area Building Codes.  

The building plan includes a central gym with a stage surrounded by a hall.  The hall opens to  the Chapel, kitchen, meeting rooms, meeting room with the immersion baptismal font, and the Family History Office. 

The Chapel in the Brentwood Ward is of a similar design to that  in Edmonton, Alberta, pictured below.  The pews are arranged with two side aisles. The pew seating can be augmented by an addition on the other side of folding doors at the rear of the Chapel and further by additional folding doors leading to the gym.  Approximately 350-400 members  attend Sunday Services.  The front of the church holds banked theater styled chairs for the choir, a central lectern, and on the right, a communion table.  There is no cross in the church as the emphasis is on the risen Christ.  And there is no art work in the Chapel as it would be seen as a distraction during worship.
  LDS Chapel in Edmonton, Alberta
           (Google Photo-similar to
    Chapel in Spokane, Washington)

However, there is artwork in the foyer at the entrance of the building and the Chapel, in the hallway, and in the meeting rooms.  Many of these are depictions of Jesus Christ and scenes from the Bible.  The print below of Jesus Christ was originally painted by Del Parsons and is now in one of the meeting rooms.

Print of Jesus Christ Painting by Area Artist
(in meeting room)

One of the meeting rooms is where the Women's Relief group meets.  This group of women work to support efforts for disaster relief for the benefit of members of the church as well as the society world-wide.  The February 18-19, 2012 Wall Street Journal article "What the Mormons Know about Welfare"  gives an impressive description the relief work of the new 15 acre "Bishop's Central Storehouse"  outside Salt Lake City, Utah.  

The Family History Center of the Brentwood Ward LDS Church is in the west wing of the church and also has its own entrance.  It is open weekdays for family research.  A Family History class is offered the 2nd Tuesday of the Month at 7:00 pm and is open to all.

Sunday Bulletin

Church services are open to the public. (See Link 3 for a description of the service.)  The service I was invited to attend was a 1 pm Sunday Sacrament Meeting in the Chapel.  The three traditional style hymns announced in the Bulletin and sung from the Mormon Hymnal were : "I Know That My Redeemer Lives", "As Now We Take the Sacrament", and "Testimony". The service also included an  Invocation, the Sacrament of Communion delivered by the young people of the congregation,  and Testimonies by  members of all ages.  Each Testimony closed with a confirmation that Jesus Christ was their Savior and Redeemer.


                                  Rear View of The Church of Jesus Christ of
the Latter-Day Saints
Brentwood Ward, Spokane, Washington

Thank you: To President Larry Larson and Helen for 
        information and an invitation to attend the
        Sacrament Meeting on March 4, 2012.
Photos: Taken in 2012 by SW.

Sunday, April 8, 2012

Holy Trinity Cathedral, 2001
1520 Green Street

Holy Trinity Cathedral
San Francisco, California

"Holy Trinity Cathedral Parish traces its history to December 2, 1857, when the first Orthodox Society was founded in San Francisco. Ten years later, on September 2, 1867, it was incorporated as the Greek Russian Slavonian Orthodox Eastern Church and Benevolent Society. During these years, the Orthodox population of the Bay Area was spiritually and sacramentally served by chaplains from Russian Navy ships that frequented San Francisco Bay.

Sanctuary, Holy Week 2000 (Link.)

"During the Holy Week of 1868, an Orthodox Priest was sent to the City from Alaska to conduct the Paschal services here. That priest, Father Nicholas Kovrigin, became the first permanent Orthodox minister in San Francisco Another Alaskan missionary, Archpriest Paul Kedrolivansky, became the first Rector of the San Francisco parish (+1878).

"In 1872, the Right Reverend Bishop John  transferred the headquarters of the ruling hierarch of the Aleutian Islands and Alaska to San Francisco. Since then, it has been a cathedral church...

image/bellsreturned.jpg, 51.1K 
                                                  Blessing of the Bells, 1999 (Link.)

"The bell tower of the Cathedral is adorned with a set of five wonderful bells donated by the Emperor Alexander III in 1888. Two other bells were locally recast from older bells that melted during one of several fires that seriously damaged the temple in the course of the years. (To actually hear the bells click on the Link, the "The Bell of Holy Trinity Cathedral".)

"The temple itself is illumined by a grand chandelier donated by the last tsar of Russia, Nicholas II. According to tradition, the Emperor also donated a richly decorated icon of his patron saint, Nicholas of Myra and Lycia, to the Cathedral.

"There are many gorgeous old icons on the Cathedral's walls. In 1993-94, its iconostasis icons were painted in old Russian style by iconographer Dimitry Shkolnik.

100th Anniversary (Link.)

"Today, as at the very beginning of its history, Holy Trinity Cathedral is a multinational, or, more accurately, an American Orthodox community, the only Orthodox church in San Francisco where the services are conducted in English (with some Slavonic). Our community is wholeheartedly open to all and any Orthodox Christians. The majority of our parishioners today are "converts" -- Christians who have been consciously searching for the true faith and have found it in the Holy Orthodox Church." (See Link.)

Photo: Taken of Holy Trinity Cathedral exterior at the corner of Van Ness 
               and Green Street (1520 Green Street) in San Francisco in 2001 by SW.


God, be with the persecuted Christians through out the world. Amen

Sunday, April 1, 2012

                                                                                                                          April, 1, 2012
Westlynn Baptist Church
1341 East 27 th Street (2012)

Westlynn Baptist Church
North Vancouver, B.C.

According to congregation member Sharon Watson Westlynn Baptist Church at was built at 1341 East 27th Avenue in 1963.  Both the City Directories and  the Archive's 1965 Fire Insurance Map confirms that the building was there in 1965. 

1965 Fire Insurance Map

The 1963 church consisted of a sanctuary building on the east side and perpendicular to that a building housing the Sunday School and kitchen.  The east side sanctuary with its red roof can be seen in the photo below.  

Note red roofed building on the left that was the 
original 1965 sanctuary.

The roof of the old sanctuary was constructed with five laminated wooden beams.  It is presently used for Sunday School and the Fellowship Hall.  A kitchen runs along the south end.  

Laminated wooden beams of the old sanctuary

Westlynn Baptist Church started out in the 1950's on East Kings Road in the City of North Vancouver as a Southern Baptist Church. (See Blog Post Jan. 23. 2012 for a description and photos of this church.) This church sponsored the Lynn Valley congregation in the District of North Vancouver.  This congregation first met in the old Community Center on Mountain Highway, then in the old United Methodist Church near the corner of Lynn Valley Road and Mountain Highway ( See Blog Post Feb. 19, 2012.) before building  the 1963 Westlynn Baptist Church.  In 1968 the congregations from East Kings Road and from Westlynn Baptist church joined to form one church.  

Sanctuary 2012

The sanctuary of Westlynn Baptist Church features the Baptismal Font (in blue on the left side of the Chancel) for the traditional ceremony of Baptism by Immersion.  The Sunday worship service is attended by approximately 80 members of the congregation and is celebrated with contemporary music. 

Stained Glass Window at  Rear of Sanctuary, 2012

Thank you: To Pastor Don Springer and  congregation members Sharon Watson, John North and Frank Stirk for history of West Kings Road Baptist Church, the old Lynn Valley Recreation Center and the building of the original Westlynn Baptist Church in 1963 and the new sanctuary in 1986.
Photos: Taken in 2012 by SW.