Sunday, March 25, 2012

                                                                                                         March 25, 2012

Sixth Street Methodist Church, 1910*
South West Corner of St. Georges Avenue

Sixth Street Methodist Church/ St. Andrew's United Church/North Shore Lutheran Church
North Vancouver, B.C.

Sixth Street Methodist Church was built in 1910 on the south west corner of St. Georges Avenue. The 1910 Fire Insurance Map describes the building as being "22' to the Eaves" and "37' to the Ridge".  The January 1910 Express North Vancouver newspaper described the opening festivities.

                  "The opening services in connection with the new Methodist
                    church, corner St. George and 6 th Street, were held on 
                    Sunday morning, afternoon and evening...The morning
                    theme was "Christ in the 'Treasury'...The evening theme
                    was "The Church of Christ, Her Message and Her Mission."

In 1922 the church was damaged by fire and a building permit for $750 was applied for to repair the damage. (Building Permit at the North Vancouver Archives.) In 1926 it joined  St. Andrew's Presbyterian  to form St. Andrew's United Church.  At the time of the union Sixth Street Methodist had a membership of 140, a Sunday School membership of  134  and the value of its property was  $7,050 (including value of parsonage). The Sixth Street Methodist Church building was referred to in the 1926 City Directory as the Sixth Street United Church.  In 1928 the Sixth Street Hall  (167 East 6th Street) underwent alterations. In 1930 the City Directory calls it "St. Andrew's Church (Gym) Hall". (Link 1 and City Directories.)

Sixth Street Methodist
(1910 Fire Insurance Map)

"In the 1940’s the American Lutheran Church’s (ALC) presence on the North Shore began with North Shore Lutheran Church at 167 East 6th Street, North Vancouver, BC. (The 1944 City Directory lists it as "United Church Hall".  The 1945 City Directory lists it as "North Shore Lutheran Church.) The first pastor, Rev. Arne A. Berstad, was installed February 24, 1952 and served until October 9, 1955. The 1956 address was listed in the City Directory as 177 East 6th Street.  After a two-year hiatus, a new mission congregation of the (then) American Lutheran Church was formed. In 1955 the Home Mission Board of the ELC (Evangelical Lutheran Church, the Canadian arm of ALC) made a decision to relocated to the growing subdivision being developed in Westlynn Park. (By this time 167 East 6th Street was part of the area surrounding the Victoria Park boulevard in the City of North Vancouver that was designated for building of apartments.) Mount Olivet was established at its present site on Mountain Highway. On February 12, 1956, Rev. L. Tom Nilson held the first worship service." (Link 2.)

Photo: *From Pamphlet "St. Andrew's United Church, 1925-1975" available at
              the North Vancouver Archives.
Reference 1: 1910 Fire Insurance Map
Reference 2: History of St. Andrew's and St. Stephen's Presbyterian Church
                 pages 1-15 out of 23, given to SW January 2013 by Angela Edmonds.
Link 1: 
Link 2:

Sunday, March 18, 2012

                                                                                                       March 18, 2012

                                          137 West 6th Street                                           
  Front of St. Mark's Lutheran Church
                                                             (Architectural Plans)

St. Mark's Lutheran Church
North Vancouver, B.C.

"In the Beginning: St. Mark’s Lutheran Church (LCC)
In reviewing Lutheranism on the North Shore we think of two synods – The American Lutheran Church (ALC) and the Lutheran Church-Missouri Synod (LCMS). These synods are known today as Evangelical Lutheran Church in Canada (ELCIC) and Lutheran Church Canada (LCC)

West Side of St. Mark's Lutheran Church
(Architectural Plans)

"The Reverend Fred T. Gabert, historian, notes “that a canvass in the spring of 1934 resulted with the first service being held on June, 1934, by Rev. O.A. Schedler, Pastor of Bethlehem Lutheran Church, Vancouver, BC in the Knights of Pythias Hall on 4th Street and Chesterfield Avenue, North Vancouver, with 26 in attendance." (Link.) 

In 1947 the congregation moved their services to a hall on the second floor of the Masonic Temple at 1140/1144 Lonsdale Ave.    The 1965 Fire Insurance Map at the North Vancouver Archives  labels the northern hall in the Masonic Temple as "Gospel Hall".  There they worshiped surrounded by framed photos of Eastern Star matrons, hanging on the walls. (Herb Shopp)

Sanctuary St. Mark's Lutheran Church
                                                          (Architectural Plans)

 St. Mark's Lutheran Church at its opening 1955

In 1955 the congregation of St. Mark's Lutheran  participated in the building of a new church at 137 West 6th Street.  Herb Schopp made the altar, pulpit, and the communion rail in the sanctuary.  The pulpit was to the right of the chancel. At the back of the sanctuary were steps leading up to a small balcony. Laminated beams supported the roof. (See photos below.) 

Altar and Communion Rail made by Herb Schopp

Sanctuary-note laminated beams
and pulpit to the right of chancel

The organ bought by Herb Shopp from St. Andrew's and St. Stephens Presbyterian Church in 1956/7 for $50 was installed in the new church.  It was used for five years.

Rear of Sanctuary-note steps to balcony

Herb's wife, Connie, also had a long history with St. Mark's Lutheran Church. Her family with five children attended services there.   All the children were baptized there, went to Sunday School and Vacation Bible Study, and were confirmed there.  The Pastor was Clifford Guebert when Connie was confirmed.


The mosaic above the front doors of the church were made by the Sunday School classes. (See photo below.)

Mosaic and Front Doors

St. Mark's Lutheran Church was built at 137 West 6th Street in 1955.  This area surrounding the Victoria Park boulevard in the City of North Vancouver was later designate for apartment buildings.  The church was sold in 1969.  

1960 Fire Insurance Map

"Temporary services were conducted at Eastview School, North Vancouver. While St. Mark’s was searching for suitable property to relocate, Mount Olivet invited them to conduct their worship at the latter’s new premise. This was accepted and on January 1, 1970, St. Mark’s moved to Mount Olivet" (Lutheran Church at 1700 Mountain Highway in North Vancouver District.) (Link.)

Thank you: To Herb and Connie Schopp for the photos of St. Mark's and  the
                 related information. Herb and Connie Schopp are now members of
                 the congregation at Mount Olivet Lutheran Church.
Photos: Architectural plans and copies of church photos by Herb and Connie
                 Schopp are available at the North Vancouver Archives
Reference 1: 1960 Fire Insurance Map
Reference 2: Blog Post "Mount Olivet Lutheran Church",  3/27/11.
Reference 3: Blog Post "St. Andrew's and St. Stephens Presbyterian Church",
                 June 16, 2013.


God, be with the persecuted Christians through out the world. Amen

Sunday, March 11, 2012

La Seu Cathedral, 2010
La Seu Cathedral
 Palma, Mallorca

  "La Seu is a gothic Roman Catholic cathedral located in Palma de Mallorca, Spain, built on the site of an existing Arab mosque. It is 121 metres long, 55 metres wide and 44 meters of nave height. Designed in Spanish "levantino" Gothic style with influences of the North European gothic, it was founded by King James I of Aragon in 1229 but finished only in 1601. It sits overlooking the Parc de la Mar and the Mediterranean Sea, protected by the old town walls...Fifty years after a restoration of the Cathedral had started, Antoni Gaudí was invited in 1901 to take over the project." (See  Link 1.) (See May 16, 2010 Blog Post for another Gaudi church.) This massive Gothic Cathedral dominates the city skyline of Palma, Mallorca.

Sanctuary  with Rose Window (Google Photo 1.)

Herbrew Star Rose Window in Sanctuary
(Google Photo 2.)

 "If you catch the sun falling through the rose window on a bright morning, every nook and cranny in the Mallorca cathedral lights up like a rainbow and you will understand why it is commonly referred to as ‘The Cathedral of Light’." (See Link 2.) This rose window measuring 100m2 is the largest Gothic rose window in the world. It is divided into 24 triangles, half of which form the Star of David. (See Link 3.)

Mirador Portal 2010

"On this side(the side facing the ocean) also lies the jewel in the crown of the Mallorca cathedral - the Mirador portal. (See photo below.) This is the huge arched entrance half way along the façade, which surely contributes the most important Gothic group of sculptures in Mallorca (Majorca). Between 1380 and 1422, Northern European and Mallorcan artists worked on this Gothic masterpiece, with the Mallorcan architect and sculptor Guillem Sagrera being the leading local contributor.

"Within the arches are two clearly differentiated horizontal sculptures: the first depicting the Eternal father with adoring angels and the other, directly below, the last supper. On the pillar between the two doors is a delightful Virgin Mary with child and in the niche of each arch are the sculptures of five saints; James, John and Peter on the left, and Andrew and Paul on the right. Together, they make this portal one of the most important examples of Mallorcan medieval art on the island." (See Link 2.)

Side Entrance 2010

Photos: Top-Front of Cathedral with rose window and palm trees of Mallorca. Middle-Front of Cathedral with rose window, top of arch above front doors, twin towers, and central angel statue on roof peak.  Bottom-Detail of side entrance described.
Google Photos:  1.  2.
Link 1:

Sunday, March 4, 2012


                                         Sangrada Familia
      Back Entrance,2010
Sagrada Familia
Barcelona, Spain

"The Temple Expiatori de la Sagrada Família (official Catalan name; Spanish: Templo Expiatorio de la Sagrada Familia; "Expiatory Church of the Holy Family"), often simply called the Sagrada Família, is a massive, privately-funded Roman Catholic church that has been under construction in Barcelona, Catalonia, Spain since 1882 and is not expected to be complete until at least 2026. A portion of the building's interior is scheduled to open for public worship and tours by September 2010[1].

Tree Columns of Sanctuary (REF.)

"Considered the master-work of renowned Catalan architect Antoni Gaudí (1852–1926), the project's vast scale and idiosyncratic design have made it one of Barcelona's (and Spain's) top tourist attractions for many years. The church is to be consecrated by Pope Benedict XVI on November 7, 2010, during his visit to Santiago de Compostela and Barcelona.[2]

"A total of eighteen tall towers are called for, representing in ascending order of height the Twelve Apostles, the four Evangelists, the Virgin Mary and, tallest of all, Jesus Christ." Wikipedia

Tourists can see evidence of the on going construction in the moving cranes and buckets of cement being carried to the top of the towers.

Front Entrance 2010

Photos: Taken of the Sangrada Familia, Barcelona, Spain, in April 2010 by SW.  The top photo is of the back entrance of the church and was taken from the park across the street  that features a large lagoon and children's play area.  The bottom photo is of the front entrance of the church and was taken from another park across the street which features a fenced in children's play area, a fenced in doggy area, and a rose garden.

Photo: Sanctuary-Sacred Architecture, Issue 19, 2011, "Barcelona Catechism"


God, be with the persecuted Christians through out the world. Amen