Sunday, February 26, 2012

Our Lady of Victory Church, 2010

Our Lady of Victory Church
Valletta, Malta

"This small church was the first to be built in Valleta by the Order of St John. Initially it was a chapel dedicated to Our Lady of Victory. The name was appropriately chosen to commemorate Malta's triumph over a Turkish invading force during the Great Siege of 1565. Works began in 1567, and traditionally it is considered to be the site where the first stone of the new city of Valletta was laid with unprecedented pomp and the unbounded joy of the population on 28 March 1566.

"Our Lady of Victory church served as the first church of the Order in Valletta until 1577, when the Conventual Church of St John was completed. Grand Master La Vallette was initially buried in the former church. Upon completion of St. John's, his remains were moved to their final resting place within the Co-Cathedral.

"The church underwent modifications towards the end of the seventeenth century and was remodelled once again in the mid eighteenth century." (See Link 1.)

Main Altar (Link 2.)

"In the late 1690s Grand Master Ramon Perellos ...commissioned the placement of a bust of Pope Innocent XI above the central window, while in 1752 Fra Gerolamo Ribas Montelieu, Bali of Majorca, enlarged the church, which has a plain rectangular nave with a ribbed barrel vault and a semicircular apse." (From information posted at the church.)

Photo: Exterior taken in April 2010 in Valletta, Malta by SW.
              Main altar-Google photo.
Link 1:
Link 2:


God, be with the persecuted Christians through out the world. Amen

Sunday, February 19, 2012

3201 Mountain Highway

Lynn Valley United Church
Lynn Valley, North Vancouver, B.C. Canada

The roots of Lynn Valley United Church are found in three posthumous churches of North Vancouver: Lynnmour United Church, Knox Presbyterian Church, and Lynn Valley Methodist Church.  These church congregations met in four different buildings that were in five different locations.

                                               Lynnmour United Church (REF 3.)

The original church building of Lynnmour United Church was on Marine Drive in the city of Vancouver. It was built in 1915 as River Avenue Methodist Church, changing  to River Avenue United Church in 1926. In 1933  it was dismantled and moved to North Vancouver at St. Denis. which was later became Mountain Highway.  In 1962  the church moved to a  new building at 1103 Mountain Highway.  That building is presently used as a house.  The congregation joined that of  Lynn Valley United Church in 1966.

                                          Knox Presbyterian Church (REF. 1)

Knox Presbyterian Church  was built at the junction of Lynn Valley Road and Centre Rd. in North Vancouver in 1911.  In 1925 it became Lynn Valley United Church.  And in 1959 the congregation built the present  church at 3201 Mountain Highway.

                                          Lynn Valley Methodist Church (REF 2.)

Lynn Valley Methodist Church was built on Institute Road in North Vancouver in 1912.  In 1926 the congregation joined that of Knox United  Church (see above). 
                         Lynn Valley United Church Sanctuary 2011

But even before a church was built on the lot at the corner of Mountain Highway and Harold Road, this was a historic Lynn Valley site. The name "Harold Road" indicates this, since Harold was named for Harold Fromme, the son of  Julius Martin Fromme, "The Father of Lynn Valley".  He originally owned a shingle mill and the lumber storage shed was on this site. Later, his son Harold ran the Harold Fromme Lynn Valley Garage in the lumber shed of the shingle mill.  (REF. 4)  The land for Lynn Valley United Church was donated by Julius Fromme.  (Rhelda Nicholson)

                                        Lumber Storage Shed of Shingle Mill 1925
                                           North Vancouver Archives Photo 6657

                                         Harold Fromme Auto Repair late 1930's
                                          North Vancouver Archives Photo 6662

Now it seems that the church congregation is ready for another move.  This time they are proposing the demolition of the present Lynn Valley United Church and on that site building an L shaped condominium housing complex.  A new smaller  Lynn Valley United Church will be built on the property, on the corner of Lynn Valley Road and Harold Road. The church was demolished in 2015 with building plans in place.

Thank you: To Rhelda Fromme, granddaughter of Julius Martin Fromme.
Photos: Taken in December 2011 and January 2012 by SW.
Link 1:
Link 2:
Reference 1: Lynn Valley from the Wilds of Nature to Civilization by Walter 
Reference 2: District Heritage Inventory 1996
Reference 3: The Province, September 21, 1962.
Reference 4: June 18, 2010.

Sunday, February 12, 2012

                                                                   February 12, 2012

                                                   St. Luke Lutheran Church 2012

St. Luke Lutheran Church
Spokane, Washington

 "The vision of a new Lutheran church in north Spokane became a reality on June 6, 1954, under the guidance of mission start pastor, Warren Pechman, with 50 confirmed adults and 42 children.  Charter members Oren and Margaret Peterson and Magna (Patterson) Knaggs are still attending St. Luke today.  These first services were held at a store front at 10117 Pend Oreille Highway.  This is now a Mexican restaurant on what has become the Newport Highway.  The congregation grew quickly and the members valued their children’s Christian education, evidenced by the Sunday School growing to 113 students.
                                  Original 1961 Church/Sanctuary

"Land was purchased at 9706 North Division.  In the summer of 1959, Pastor Jerald Ferguson came to St. Luke just in time to move the congregation to Whitworth Elementary School, where worship was held for the next two years. On May 28, 1961, ground was broken to build the new church at a cost of $34,000.  Construction was completed and worship in the new sanctuary was held on September 12, 1961." (Link 1.)  

This building, the southern most building, which was once the sanctuary has now been divided into meeting rooms and the offices. In the original building the colored glass still on the northern wall of the building was repeated on southern wall.
1978 Addition and Sanctuary

A " new addition conceived under Pastor Anderson’s direction came to fruition with ground breaking on April 3, 1977... a new addition and sanctuary were dedicated (April 16, 1978) ..." (Link 1.)

This 1977 addition is the north wing of the church complex and the present sanctuary.  Approximately 430 congregation members attend Sunday worship during the three services offered: traditional services at 8:30 and 10:00 and a contemporary service at 11:15.  Approximately 100 attend the 9:45 Sunday School.

                                      Church Sanctuary 2012

The two aisles of padded church pews and straight backed chairs along the sides and back of the church sanctuary accommodate the Sunday morning congregation. A series of stained glass windows by former congregation member John Rancour brighten the north wall of the sanctuary.

                   Stained Glass Windows on North Wall of  Sanctuary

"... the deceased architect Mr. Neraas (See Link 3.) should be mentioned as one who played a major part in the development of St Luke.  He designed the first two stages of St Luke working closely with those of the various building committees.  He most likely holds the record for the number of churches designed for all time." (REF.) 

In 2006 a multipurpose room was built on the east end of the church complex.  The large gym provides a place for basketball games, church banquets, and special worship services.  The east wall serves is enhanced with three crosses sculpted by congregation member Dr. Nathan Stime.  A kitchen runs across the south wall.  Along the north wall is the choir room, and above it a youth loft open to gym.

                                              Aluminum Sculpture Hands and Cross 

The aluminum sculpture "Hands and Cross" was designed by congregation member Dr. Nathan Stime. " The 21 foot vertical height aluminum cross was elevated into its place on Good Friday afternoon 1998,  the sky darkened at 4:30 pm as the congregation sang the hymn "Lift high the cross...."  Clouds made it very dark as the lightening / thunder made everyone scatter into the church....    The clouds briefly opened to allow the sun display a magnificent rainbow over the cross and above the church...   The amount of aluminum is 700 lbs, with steel inner supports adding another 700 lbs.  Cement base with the inscribed Alpha and Omega  on one side and INRI ("Jesus the Nazarene, King of the Jews") on the other side added another 30,000 lbs to its total weight." (REF.) 

Dr. Stime also designed the three large crosses on the east wall of the multipurpose room.  They are made of 7 foot long boards of Tiger Wood/Brazilian Koa. He brought the boards back from one of his many trips to Guatemala where as a doctor he accompanied Nazarene missionaries and then established a wood shop training school. The crosses were mounted in the fellowship hall in 2009, again on Good Friday. 

For the last 11 years Pastor Jim Johnson has led this vital and dedicated congregation.  During this time "the church has grown in worshipping numbers, facility size, staff composition and most important, range of ministries." (Sandy Randolph.)

Thank You: To Sandy  Randolph, Church Administrator, and Jim Scollard, 
              Worship Coordinator, for  information about the church and a tour.
Reference: E mails from Dr. Nathan Stime with information on the sculptures.
Photos: Taken in January 2012 by SW.
Link 1:
Link 2:,_King_of_the_Jews
Link 3:


God, be with the persecuted Christians through out the world. Amen (SW.)
out the world. Amen

Sunday, February 5, 2012

St. Peter's Catholic Church
"Little Blue Church"
Big Island of Hawaii, Kahaluu, Hawaii

"This tiny little church is located right on the ocean and surrounded by colorful floral bushes. There are only a dozen pews and a pulpit, but the setting is very serene. A beautiful etched glass window casts soft light over the entire church, especially during the sunset. The church was built in 1889 on the site of an ancient Hawaiian heiau. Today, many couples choose this quaint chapel for their wedding.
Sanctuary (Link 2.)

"The setting of this little church right on the beach is stunning. It's no coincidence that this was once the site of an ancient Hawaiian heiau, or temple of the ancient Hawaiian religion.  You can see the restored heiau next to the church, where the ancient Hawaiians worshiped the surfing gods. (Link 1.)

                                    Etched Glass Window Behind Altar  (Link 4.)

"If you sit in one of the pews, you can visually line up the horizon depicted in the stained glass image of the Sea of Galilee with the real Pacific horizon beyond the church (Note: The window is actually etched glass and is at the front of the church, behind the altar.) If you look at the right moment you can imagine the surfers to be among the apostles. " (Link 3.)

"This quaint little church is made of clapboard with a corrugated tin roof. The church is located right on the ocean and surrounded by lush green and flowered bushes and trees. There is no parking lot. Carefully pull off the road and walk to the chapel. The tall church spire stretches high over the tiny building. There is a beautiful etched glass window that sheds a delicate light throughout the tiny church." (Link 1.)

"Take Ali'i Drive south of Kailua-Kona. (On the Big Island of Hawaii.) The church is located on the ocean side of the road just north of Mile Marker #5." (Link 1.) It is next to Kahaluu Beach Park.

Photos: Taken of painting of exterior of church bought in 1984 in Hawaii by SW.
Link 1:
Link 2:
Link 3:
Link 4:


God, be with the persecuted Christians through out the world. Amen