Sunday, October 30, 2011

                                                                                                      October 30, 2011

8441 N Indian Trail Rd.

Prince of Peace Lutheran Church
Spokane, Washington

"On July 30, 1995 the congregations of Ascension Lutheran and Calvary Lutheran churches voted to consolidate into a new single church of the ELCA.  John Vaswig and Michael Sager, pastors at Calvary continued to serve the new congregation, Prince of Peace.

                                                   Formerly Ascension Lutheran
                                                        Now New Heaven Church

"Soon after, the congregation began a three year capital funding campaign to raise $500,000 as a down payment on a new church building in a new area.  Groundbreaking took place on Sunday, September 26, 1999 at the building site on (8441 N) Indian Trail Road.  Pastors Steven and Jaynan Egland had been called to serve the new congregation.

                                         Three Crosses at Right Wing of Church

Left Wing of Church

"Our new church opened on Easter Sunday, April 23, 2000.  With its large multi-purpose area and ample Sunday School rooms the church now hosts many community activities as well as a Christian preschool." (Link.)

                                              Sanctuary in Multi-purpose Room

Sanctuary/Multi-purpose Room Art Work

Sunday services are held in the Sanctuary/multipurpose room. The wood altar area indicating a place for worship is at one side of the back wall of the multipurpose room.  On other days the multipurpose room may be used for a social event such as a bazaar with display tables at one end and round tea tables and an open serving window to the kitchen at the other end. Above the exterior door to the Sanctuary/multipurpose room entrance is this inscription: "Peace to All Who Enter Here".

Photos: Taken in 2010 and 2011 by SW.



God, be with the persecuted Christians through out the world. Amen (SW.)

Sunday, October 23, 2011

                                                                                                                      October 23, 2011

Peace Lutheran Church of Palm Desert

Peace Lutheran Church of Palm Desert
Palm Desert, California

"Peace Lutheran Church began as a Bible Study.  Fifteen people from different denominations gathered together to study the Word of God with no intention of starting a church.  However, as the Bible Study grew, they all felt the Lord was leading them to start a church.  It was voted that it would be a Lutheran Church with a Lutheran Doctrine.

"Peace Lutheran Church of the Desert was the name they had decided on.  The church became a member of the English District, Missouri Synod.  Lee Settgast became the first Pastor.  A  storefront on Country Club Drive in Palm Desert, California was rented and the first church service was held in June 1994.


"The first two years of Peace Lutheran were spent canvassing the community and spreading the word of our new church.  In October of 1996, after two years, Pastor Settgast received a call to be the Interim Pastor of Faith Lutheran Church in Whittier, California.  In June 1997, Peace Lutheran called Norval Chilman to be their new Pastor.

                                                                     Foyer Tapestry

"Pastor Chilman, along with the approval of the church, began focusing on missions and missionaries instead of building and budgets.  Peace is one of the few Lutheran churches who do not own their own building but who have caught the vision of Matthew 24:14 where it says 'For the Gospel must be preached to all nations and then the end will come'.

                                                             Exterior Angel Sculpture

"Peace Lutheran (at 74200 Country Club Dr.) currently has 84 active members supporting several Missions with an annual budget of $27,600." (Link 1.)

The church is also involved in the Braille Ministry.  Large print Bibles are collated, stapled, and distributed to the vision impaired.

Peace Lutheran Church shares the building with the 7th Day Adventist Church. The 7th Day Adventist message of the three angels blowing trumpets (depicted in the exterior sculpture in the photo above) is to announce the return of Jesus. (Link 2.) 

Photos: Taken in 2010 by SW. 
Link 1:
Link 2:


God, be with the persecuted Christians through out the world. Amen (SW.)

Sunday, October 16, 2011

                                                                                                                        October 16, 2011

St. Margaret's Episcopal Church
Palm Desert, California

The first St. Margaret's Episcopal Church began in 1962.  70 people formed the congregation when they met for the first Eucharist in 1964 at the Fairway Cafe on Highway 111.  Later the congregation paid $50 a month to meet at the Silver Spur recreation building. A  new church was consecrated in 1965 with master plans for a large church building  just about where the current sanctuary now stands. Additions were made in 1971.  In 1991 this building was converted into a Parish Hall with a stage and kitchen. (REF.)

A new church was planned and former President Gerald Ford participated in  the ground breaking.  "On 'St. Margaret’s Sunday', November 19, 1989, the new (current) sanctuary (at 47535 Highway 74, across the parking lot from the Palm Desert Community Presbyterian Church attended by President Eisenhower-see April 17, 2011 Blog Post) was consecrated..." (Link)

The first St. Francis statue was sculpted by Frances Rich, and stood in front of the church. In 1987  when the present sanctuary was dedicated it was moved to the north side of the patio and then in 1995 moved again to in front of the Nordstrom Campus of St. Margaret's Episcopal School.

The bell tower holds a C bell that was cast in 1908.

"While President of the United States, Gerald and Betty Ford attended services here. Later the Fords became Seasonal Members of St. Margaret’s," (Link.)and their daughter Susan was married there in 1979.  President and Mrs. Bush have also attended services. (REF.)

In 1994 St. Margaret's School opened its doors adjacent to the church.  The original attendance was 25 kindergarten and 1st grade students.  Today the school serves preschool, elementary, and middle school students.

Photos: Taken in 2010 by SW.
REFERENCE: "A Brief History" pamphlet available at the church. 
Note: For information about Palm Desert see Blog Post April 17, 2011.



God, be with the persecuted Christians through out the world. Amen (SW.)

Sunday, October 9, 2011

                                                                                                             October 9, 2011

St. Louis Catholic Church
Cathedral City, California

Louis IX (25 April 1214 – 25 August 1270), commonly Saint Louis, was King of France from 1226 until his death...He is the only canonised king of France; consequently, there are many places named after him,...Louis's piety and kindness towards the poor was much celebrated... He went on two crusades, in his mid-30s in 1248 (Seventh Crusade) and then again in his mid-50s in 1270 (Eighth Crusade)...Louis' patronage of the arts drove much innovation in Gothic art and architecture... (Wikipedia Link.)

"In February 1948 St. Louis Parish was formed and the first Mass was celebrated by Fr. Joseph Leissler who was appointed Pastor and served for 24 years.  Masses were celebrated in different areas until May 23, 1948 when the first permanent building was established.  The original St. Louis Church building was a 150' x30' military hospital ward.  Part of the building was partitioned off and became the church, the other part was used as the parish hall.  On February 10, 1949 St. Louis Church was dedicated and blessed... (REF)

Eiffel Tower Style Steeple

St. Louis Catholic Church at 68633 C Street,  was designed in 1973 by architect Joseph F. Dameron and built by the Phillips and Warren  construction company. It was completed in 1974.   Because it was named for St. Louis the steeple was imported from France and created to imitate the Eiffel Tower. The stained glass windows of the church are set in cement accents, as is pictured below next to the side door of the sanctuary.   Inside the sanctuary are a statue of the Sacred Heart that was added in 2010,   a statue of the Virgin of Guadeloupe, and statues of the Holy Family.

Sanctuary Side Door

The Stations of the Cross were created 1995 to 2000.  They were positioned through out the courtyard at the request of the parishioners, making possible mediation at any time of the day.

"Veronica wipes the face of Jesus"
Station VI

Court Yard Shrine

Lang Hall was built in the year 2000.  The downstairs is composed of education classrooms.  The upstairs is designated for social events.

Lang Hall

The congregation of St. Louis Catholic Church consists of 2600 families.  The sanctuary has a capacity of 600.  One well known parishioner was Frank Sinatra.

Thank you: To Rosie Luca in the church office for describing the church and
                 e mailing REFERENCE information.
Photos: Taken in February 2011 by SW.
Note: For information about Cathedral City see Blog Post September 25, 2011.



God, be with the persecuted Christians through out the world. Amen (SW.)

Sunday, October 2, 2011

                                                                                                                     October 2, 2011

Glory To God Ministries
Cathedral City, California

"Cathedral City is a city in Riverside County, California, United States. The population was 51,200 at the 2010 census. Sandwiched between Palm Springs and Rancho Mirage, it is one of the cities in the Coachella Valley (Palm Springs area) of southern California. Cathedral City is the second largest in population in the Coachella Valley, second only to Indio.[2]

"The town's name derives from "Cathedral Canyon" to the south of the town, so named in 1850 by Colonel Henry Washington because its rock formations were reminiscent of a cathedral. The city itself started as a housing subdivision in 1925, but was not incorporated until 1981. The city grew 4-5 times in two decades." (Link 1.)

"Glory to God Ministries was established to further the proclamation of God's Word and equip God's people for ministry. It also encourages and assists churches and ministries in carrying out God's vision to "teach all nations" to know Jesus and grow in the faith.

"Dr. Randy Brodhagen, raised in Portland, Oregon, founded Glory To God Ministries in 1978.  Previously, Dr. Brodhagen was a Pastor in the Lutheran church and currently serves as the host and teacher of the international radio & TV broadcast, “The Love of God,” which airs across the United States and Canada." (Link 2.)

Sanctuary under construction Feb. 2011

The building at 67-399 East Palm Canyon Drive that once housed Pompeii nightclub will soon be home to parishioners of Glory to God Ministries. In a three to nothing vote Monday the Cathedral City Architectural Review Committee approved plans for the church. Plans now go before the city’ planning commission, where church leaders will ask for a permit to begin transforming the building into a state-of-the-art church. The structure was built in the 1950’s by architect A, Quincy Jones. Plans call for a significant addition to the building and an elaborate water structure, along with a 19-foot-long cross that still needs to be cleared through the planning commission. Construction could take about six months. The building was sold to Glory to God Ministries for Two-Point-1-Million-Dollars in 2006. " (Link 3.)

"Hipster Haven to House of God
The former Pompeii nightclub at 67-399 East
Palm Canyon Dr. in Cathedral City has been
 many different restaurants and night spots,
 but never a church.
Prince Michael Romanoff, a Rodeo Drive restaurateur,
built Romanoff's on the Rocks, soon frequented by
Frank Sinatra, Lauren Bacall and Tony Curtis, among
other Hollywood stars.
A drugstore owner bought the space and renamed it
Rim Rocks to keep Romanoff's fancy china, silver and
furnishings with the "RR" monogram.
Joe Hanna and Sherman Harris bought the property
and kept it a restaurant with live lounge acts nightly
until 2 am.
George Simmone, a Honolulu nightclub owner, rented
the space and renamed it "Last Nights of Pompeii". 
Soon the space would have a working volcano, an
animatronic band, Jacuzzi rooms and a swim up bar.
The California Department of Justice's Organized Crime
Division arrested Pompeii part owner Dominic Peter
Lucci for selling cocaine at the club.
Pompeii closed after an arsonist set a fire inside the club.
A string of nightclubs and restaurants tried to take its place.
February 2006
Glory to God Ministries buys the property for $2.1 million and tears down Pompeii's two story volcano."
(Source: Joe Hanna and newspaper accounts.)
(Link 4.)
The church at 67-399 East Palm Canyon Dr. is now completed with Saturday and Sunday services at 8:30 am, 9:45 am, and 10:00 am in the sanctuary that seats 500.
Photos: Taken in February 2011 in Cathedral City, California by SW.
Link 1:,_California
Link 2:
Link 3: