My worship and my witness.
I started photographing churches as "The House of God" as part of my Year 2000 Project and have continued ever since. This blog is a tribute to the congregations who built these churches and that keep open the doors of these places of Christian renewal and service. Thanks be to God.
Sunday, October 29, 2017
9891 Fourth Street St. Andrew's Anglican Church
St. Andrew'sAnglican Church Sidney, B.C.
"St. Andrew's, Sidney, was built and consecrated in 1910. Before that, services were held in a school-house by the rector of St. Stephen's (South Saanich), who continued to hold services in the new church. Prior to 1910, Sidney was served by North Saanich
Mission which had been operating since 1861. In 1912, "North Saanich and Sidney" parish included St. Andrew's, Sidney, and Holy Trinity, North Saanich. The parish was separated on May 29, 1980. St. Andrew's is located at 9686 3rd Street, Sidney (Link
Sanctuary with Tutor beamed ceiling
Since it was built the sanctuary with its exposed Tutor beamed ceiling has been lengthened twice. (REF.)Stained glass windows line the front and side walls.
Altar a;nd Rose Window
Installed December 1988 and designed by the Rector.
The church with its round window above the three arched front doors, with its side square tower war built in 1903. It was redone in 1956. (RW) The sactuary features one central aisle, open backed wooden pews, a statue, and decorative window.
The church is located down the street from the railway station.
"It took 41 years to build the church: construction started in 1945 and ended in 1986, but the landmark tower being completed long before the whole church was completed. The crypt beneath the choir was consecrated in 1948, the steeple and wings were completed in 1974, and the nave was consecrated in 1986. At the time of construction, the building was criticized as too old-fashioned and as a blend of different architectural styles. The church was originally intended to be less tall, but the leaders of the Church of Iceland wanted a large spire so as to outshine Landakotskirkja (Landakot's Church), which was the cathedral of the Catholic Church in Iceland.
"The interior is 1,676 square metres. In 2008, the church underwent a major restoration of the main tower, and was covered in scaffolding. In late 2009, restoration was completed and the scaffolding was removed.
"The church houses a large pipe organ by the German organ builder Johannes Klais of Bonn. It has electronic action; the pipes are remote from the four manuals and pedal console. There are 102 ranks, 72 stops and 5275 pipes. It is 15 metres tall and weighs 25 tons. Its construction was finished in December 1992. It has been recorded by Christopher Herrick in his Organ Fireworks VIICD and by Mattias Wager on his CD Live at Vatnajökull." (Link)
Photo: Taken July 2017 by friend Nina Reiniger while on a trip to Iceland with
her New York City choir, the New Amsterdam Singers.
Icelandic Lutheran Church Asolfsskali, Iceland "Asolfsskali is a farm and a church site at the foothills of Mts. Eyjafjoll (The Island Mountains). According to The Book of Settlements, an Irish Christian, Asolfur alskik arrived in Iceland and built his lodgings there first. The stream running past his dwellings abounded in trout and char immediately after his settlement. Thorgeir Bardarson, the ruler of the area, became aware of this and drove Asolfur away out of spite and envy. Asolfur moved further west and a nearby stream yielded no less catch than the first one. Again, Thorgeir drove him away and he moved still further west, where the same happened. This time he had to leave Þorgeir?s domain and Asolfur moved to the farm Ytri-Holmur on the Akranes Peninsula in the West, where he became a hermit. " (Link 2.) " You see buildings like this all over Iceland. The walls are corrugated aluminium, painted white, covering driftwood (there are almost no trees on the island). The roof, more aluminium, is red...,600 × 1,200" (Link 1.)
Portland, Oregon "Legend has it that in mediaeval times, a local count was being attacked by bandits when he saw an apparition of the Virgin Mary, and running towards this vision saved him. Thus, the Madonna del Ghisallo became the patroness of travellers. Then, in 1949 a local priest managed to persuade Pope Pius XII to admit her as the patroness of cyclists. Since then, the small chapel (in Italy) has become a shrine to cycling legends, both living and deceased, and provides a memorial to those who have fallen in our sport." (Link 4.)
The Cyclist's Prayer
"The flower-decked bike is the gift of the family and classmates from the Pacific Northwest College of Art in memory of Tracey Sparling." (REF.) It is referred to by congregation members as "The Ghost Bike".
Shrine inspired by Death of Tracey Sparling
The Bike Shrine Logo
(Created by artist Pam Racs)
"The Madonna Bicycle painting is the gift of local artists, Martin Wolfe."
St. Stephen's Episcopal Church is located in downtown Portland, Oregon. (See Blog Post July 30, 2017.)
St. Stephen's Episcopal Church-Side Door
Note:Suzanne and Alan Wilson attended Sunday worship St. Stephen's Episcopal Church in Portland during their May 2017 trip there to meet the woman who was the maid of honor at their wedding-50 years ago. While at the church service they received a blessing from the priest in honor of their Golden Wedding Anniversary.
Note: Suzanne and Alan Wilson's son, Richard-a photographer for "Churches On Sundays"-is a bicycle courier living and working in Basel Switzerland.
St. Stephen's Episcopal Parish Portland, Oregon "St. Stephen's Chapel was the second Episcopal church established in the growing city of Portland. It was finance and built on what is ow the site of the City Hall by the Reverend Thomas Fielding Scott nine years after he was elected Bishop of the Missionary District of Oregon and Washington and arrived in the Oregon Country. "St. Stephen's opened its doors for services in 1863 with just a few families. Separate Episcopal Schools (now the Oregon Episcopal School) were opened for boys and girls (St. Helen's Hall) adjacent to the church. Needing room to expand, St. Stephen's was moved in 1870.
St. Stephen's Episcopal Church
"St. Stephen's grew and prospered. A newly built chapel and school were consecrated by Bishop Benjamin Wistar Morris in June, 1882 with the mission to: "Aid in the culture of the spirit of the true reverence in both young and old....and carry on the blessed work preaching the Gospel and gathering the wander and stranger ito the fold of Christ." "In 1890, St. Stephen's Chapel was moved again to its present location at the corner of 13th and Clay to allow growth for the school which now had 132 pupils. By 1915, St. Stephen the Protomartyr Cathedral had 421 communicants and had established issions, outreach to the city's poor, suport of the city's Chinese immigrants and a mission for African-American Episcopalians. "Arson fire in 1024 destroyed the pro-cathedral and parish house. Only the historic Lady Chapel and the Sacristy from St. Stephen's pioneer days were spared. St. Stephen's was rebuilt in 1925 as a temporary structure that included installation of the Lady Chapel and a new organ. "Over the years, various plans have been put forward to expand, improve or replace the "temporary" building supportive of St. Stephen's urban mission and ministry.
St Stephen the Protomartry Icon
"The icon is painted in the Eastern Christian manner as a young beardless man with a tonsure, wearing a deacon's vestments and holding a censer and incense container in the shape of a miniature church building reflecting his caretaking responsibilities....It was painted cy Australian artists, Olga Lukjanenko...and dedicated on ST. Stephen's Feast Day December 2009." (REF.) "St. Stephen's was known as the "Bishop's Church" becoming the Pro- Cathedral in 1906 and then the Cathedral until 1973. St. Stephen's Cathedral standing was transferred, first to St. John the Baptist Church, and affiliate of St. Stephen's, and in 1994 to Trinity Cathedral. "St. Stephen's has a rich history of sacrament and service-actively sharing Episcopal tradition, experiences, faith and aid with our many diverse congregations of Portland's urban settlers, builders, leaders, children and families, individuals and those in need for 150 years.
Altar with Sanctuary Cross
"Our historic sanctuary is graced with a dramatic wood center cross suspended from the vaulted ceiling. The cross was carved in native bul myrtle by Oregon master sculptor LeRoy Setziol." (REF.)
Madonna del Ghisallo Portland Bicycle Shrine
"Since November, 2009, the Portland Bicycle Shrine as been a place of reflection and meditation which honors the Madonna del Ghisallo, the patron saint of cyclists. The shrine is a place to celebrate the joy of bicycling, a place to tray for the safety of everyone on the road, a memorial to those who have fallen in bicycle accidents, a place of quiet contemplation for all and a sanctuary of solace for those who are grieving lost friends and family. If you are a rider, you may ask that you and your bike be blessed in the Madonna's name." (Reference.)
Note:Suzanne and Alan Wilson attended Sunday worship St. Stephen's Episcopal Church in Portland during their May 2017 trip there to meet the woman who was the maid of honor at their wedding-50 years ago. While at the church service they received a blessing from the priest in honor of their Golden Wedding Anniversary. Reference: St. Stephen's Episcopal Parish Directory, 2012. Link: https://ststephenspdx.org/cathedral/ (See Blog Post 8/13/17 for more on the Madonna del Ghisallo Portland Bicycle Shrine located in the sanctuary of the St. Stephen's Episcopal Church."